Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rods and Reel question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods and Reel question?

Due to me leaving for a while and I will be gone for long time I need advice. What rod and reel have the best balance? I live no where near a bps or a cabellas. So I can't get a feel for balance. My budget is less than $200 and I want an all around cause I jig and cast and fish with minnows. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest a 7' L or ML Cabela's Fish Eagle II (on sale now):

Cabela's: Cabela's Fish Eagle® II Spinning Rods – '08

They are nice rods and, if you don't like it, you can return it within sixty days -- no questions asked.

With the remainder, get the best Daiwa or Shimano you can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Will check those out.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with deathb4disco. The best Shimano or Daiwa reel you can afford. I have owned both, but am partial to Shimano. I have a long history of bass fishing behind me so I prefer to cast into & around cover for crappie as well as shoot docks/piers while using ultralight tackle. Attached are a couple of pics of a Shimano 500FD reel and a 5'-6" Lew's Wally Marshall Signature Series rod (WMS56L) that my son and I use. I keep 3 of them in my boat..one rigged with a roadrunner, one with a jig, and one with a slip cork rig for minnows. My son and I have caught many species ranging from bream, crappie, small bass, to large bass and catfish on this combination. Everyone has their own preference, but to me this rod & reel combination is balanced very well and has given us great service. The reel is a little on the pricey side at around $60 and the rod is around $40. Note that I just checked BPS for the price and the reel is showing to be on clearance. Not sure if it being discontinued? Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!
    Name:  100_0345.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  51.8 KBName:  100_0346.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  38.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have a daiwa d shock combo and I love that, it is my favorite rod to fish. I just caught a 2 pound crappie on it last week at lake of the Ozarks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there sooner08 my favorite set up is the B'n'M Crappie Graphite Jig Pole from basspro with a Pflueger® Cetina™ Spincast Reel and with your 200 dollar budget you can spring for two with a total cost of 90 dollars total!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieguy77 View Post
    Hey there sooner08 my favorite set up is the B'n'M Crappie Graphite Jig Pole from basspro with a Pflueger® Cetina™ Spincast Reel and with your 200 dollar budget you can spring for two with a total cost of 90 dollars total!!!!!
    Thanks. Will these poles be pretty good and casting and shooting docks? Sounds like a good deal. Thanks to all!! Boomer Sooner!!

Post Thanks / Like

St croix premier series and pfluger president should be in that budget and worth considering......like mine alot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    St croix premier series and pfluger president should be in that budget and worth considering......like mine alot
    I am considering that combo a lot. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they are great for casting you can launch a small jig a country mile. I'm not sure about shooting docks I have never done that myself and if i did i would opt for a 12 gauge instead of a fishin pole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast