Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rice lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default rice lake

wife and i are going to rice lake the 29th.
    can anyone tell me how the crappies have been doing.
    or any other near by lake. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing is pretty steady as of late.Crappie and gills are doing just fine, but they're real scattered now. I can't give you any real specific areas to look for. The best suggestion is to use electronics and move around until you find a school. Great action when you do. I'd suggest starting your search around the cribs (you'll get a lot of sorters, but there are good numbers), and then "wander the lake" into weed areas. These areas will produce crappie and gills. With the gills particularly scattered now after finishing their spawn. Work 2 to 6 feet in the brush. The crappies move in at that time to forage minnows. For the crappie, use a tube jig, or a small minnow. Gills will hit on waxies, or spikes.There are probably over 75 cribs dropped in and around the 10-15 foot depths.If you want to try another lake nearby,I would try Montanis Lake.Any one of the many baits shops should have the map.Tube jigs or a crappie minnow will work for the crappie. 'Make sure you use a SMALL bobber,and work the weed EDGES, anywhere from 16 inches of water...yes 16 inches, out to 6 feet in Montanis.Good luck to you and the Mrs.
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 06-24-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Default ok

we will let ya know how we did when we get back.
    thanks.
    got 10 days of fishing there waiting for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Well hopefully you can cash in, and find a pattern in those 10 days.
    CrappieMagnet

gsharrow Guest

Default Rice lake

I am new to this board, but just about a year ago we purchased a small cabin on Rice lake (we live in the twin cities). We spent last summer working on a number of different things, getting a dock, etc but I did get to do some Crappie fishing. Had good luck almost every time out, and am really looking forward to next season. We just bought a new boat at the end of the season and only had a chance to put it in a couple times (Stratos 386 xf) now that I know a little bit about the lake.

BTW - If anyone has boat lift recommendations/links I would greatly appreciate them.