Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UL n Light Spinning - Mono Vs Flouro/co-Polymer Vs Braid ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default UL n Light Spinning - Mono Vs Flouro/co-Polymer Vs Braid ?

I fish alot of UL and Light Spinning gear for a variety of fish, much in water that is not very clear.

Considering using Flouro or co-p line like P-Line CXX for allow my llght jigs, spinners, and spoons to sink more and get more 'strike feel' - most of my fishing has been done with either 6 and sometimes 8lb mono, the 6 mostly on UL, and the 8 on other light setups.

Using Pflueger 6920 President, and the Surpreme MG in 8025 and 8030 size. The first 2 usually 6# but tend to use 8# on the '30' reel.

I fish alot of areas creeks/rivers w/alot of stumps/brush and rocks. Panfish, white/hybrids, largemouth bass have been most common, though will hope to do more trout n walleye in the future, and smallmouth.

Would you use P-Line CXX and/or Seagar (Bass pro rep advised yellow/blue package) over MONO or another brand?

Lastly, I am thinking braid may be a good idea to reduce lost lures. Thinking 10 or 20# Power Pro might be great.

I get alot of abrasion on line due to rocks in one river.

I am sure others have faced this dilema balancing line strength, low memory for spinning gear, a line to sink and take the slack out while reducing stretch, etc. to allow more strike 'feel' and hook ups.

Thoughts? Thanks for all in advance

Post Thanks / Like

I have two UL rods that I cast for crappie with, one is 6'6" and the other is 6'8", both have small Shimano spinning reels on them. All I use is the hi viz yellow Fire Line in 6#, it's tough, has no memory and the feel is great. Plus when it starts getting frayed on the end I pull it off the spool and re-spool it frayed end first and have new line on my reels.

Post Thanks / Like

P Line is on ALL my reels.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Justin61, thanks - care to give more info on the rods you use? Also -79 - any certain P-line? Original, CX, etc? Curious what pound test and what gear you are using...rod/reel, etc.

Thanks all, look forward to others comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65BR View Post
    Justin61, thanks - care to give more info on the rods you use? Also -79 - any certain P-line? Original, CX, etc? Curious what pound test and what gear you are using...rod/reel, etc.

Thanks all, look forward to others comments.
    The rods are G Loomis, 6'8" TRS 862-2 and a 6'6" SR 781-1.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly all I ever use, lake, river, stream is 4# GAMMA clear copolymer or lighter. I don't normally fish any heavier than 1/32 oz jig heads. With that on a 5' ultralight I get enough casting distance and with a 5 1/2' rod more than enough. You have to balance your line weight to the lure you are fishing and the rod you are casting with. For plugs and spoons heavier than what I use, 6# GAMMA would work out just fine. I have little visibility problem with the GAMMA clear until it gets pretty nearly completely night.

My buddy and I have also had pretty good response with 5# and 8# yellow PowerPro braid, though, and you might consider that if visibility is an issue. That gives you a diameter of about 1 or 2# normal mono, and lays real well and casts very well on the 20 and 25 size Shakespeares and Pfleugers we use. GAMMA copolymer also comes in a high vis yellow that I use once in a long while.

BTW the 4# GAMMA copolymer actually breaks at close to 8# and for us has been very abrasion resistant. If you cannot find it around where you normally shop, you can order it online directly from BlackKnight Industries who are now the owners and makers of it. They often ship same day for me. I also use their ice lines in the winter and often early and late in the season when the water is cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting. I've never considered 6# test line to be "UL". I have several UL rigs, two of them (7' & 8' B n' M rods) are spooled with 2# test XL. These are used for jig fishing, mainly with 1/64, 1/32 & 1/16 oz. jigs. The other rig is filled with 4# test XL. This rig (6'6" UL BPS rod) I consider my "heavy" crappie outfit which I use with Roadrunners, micro spoons and small Countdown Rapalas. I also use this outfit when I'm bobber fishing.

The only time I "step up" to 6# test is when I'm drop shotting for smallmouth bass. Do you folks really believe 6# test is to be considered "UL"? We are talking crappie fishing here....right?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

P-Line CX, 2, 4, and 6, depending on the setup. I've used it for the last 4 years or so, and haven't had the first problem out of it, someone may feel there is better out there, but I don't fix what isn't broke. I use it on L and UL setups, the CX is made for spinning reels.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM FEELING A CRAPPIE HIT A JIG . MABY IF I WAS TOUR. FISHING I WOULD FEEL DIFFERENT . HOW MANY FISH DO YOU ACTUALLY THINK YOU MISS IN A DAY TRIP DUE TO LINE USED ? CAN'T REMEMBER BREAKING ANY FISH OFF THIS YR . WITH 6/8 LB. STREN . THEY BITE I BRING THEM HOME . NO BITE I DONT . KIND OF LIKE THOSE THAT SPEND 1500-2000 DOLLARS ON A DEPTH FINDER TO FISH SHALLOW WATER . DRINK UP THE KOOL-AID , KEEPS A LOT OF FOLKS WORKING .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65BR View Post
    I get alot of abrasion on line due to rocks in one river.

Thoughts? Thanks for all in advance
    If you fish this area a lot I would say this rules out braid. Braid is my favorite but abrasion is its weakness couple time just touch rock snap that quick too touchsnap as quick as you can say it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast