Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you drive a stick steer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you drive a stick steer?

I have seen a picture of one, but never seen one up close. Howq do you drive a boat with stick steer. I am of course used to driving with steering wheel, but thinking of stick steer for the open cockpit.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one and love it. You have a stick mounted on your left with throttle on right. Push stick forward to go right pull back to go left. Takes a little getting used to because it reacts a lot quicker than wheel steering. Can be kind of dangerous if your not careful but sure is nice to me because it reacts so quick you can steer around obsticals that you might hit otherwise. Depending on the boat it can be a rough ride sitting in front of boat sometimes but most newer stick steer boats aren't to bad in most water. I have run mine ( 17ft WarEagle ) in some pretty rough water and not been uncomfortable. Hope this helps some.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cray (Hi Charlie) has hit on most of the finer points but mine was a 16' bare bones model and the ride up front caused me some discomfort. I have lower back work done and don't do well with the bouncing in rougher water. Smooth to moderate water was no problem and light weight made towing a breeze. I miss my stick boat often fish bigger waters I would have another. I would like to spend a couple of days in a newer fiberglass model to see if they would be any better, and then I would have to re-think my current ride. 6 trips on 6 gallons was another plus, but the 25hp only ran about 22 on a good day so you had to plan your day closer to the nearest ramp or spend time running. I'd do it all over again.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

With a stick bwahahaha
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

i loved mine....ya got everything ya need right there with you. no getting up to move around to get stuff......once ya sit down ya really dont need to move again. very stable also.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My stick steer is a little unconventional as I custom built it to my preferred boat setup..(it keeps my floor completely open)..

push stick left..boat tracks right..
    push stick right..boat tracks left..

Plus..I sit on the rear bench seat so I don't get pounded by being too far forward in the boat under way...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Seems like you got some good advice here.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

good morning,

i have a royal 169ss and this is my second stick steer boat....i wanted one with everything as close as possible for comfort, plus being able to see where i'm going...i was tired of looking over a console or using a boat cushion to sit on...plus the seat on mine are extremly comfortable..if you have back issues, take a look....Cray hit the high points about the steering procedures and it really easy with a bit of practice..

this boats turns extreme quick because it is a v stepped pad boat...LOVING IT!!!!

if you want a ride, let me know.....

PURA VIDA,
    bluebonnet2

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That has to be a very comfortable boat to fish out of. Sharp ride. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would never have one but would have nothing else.
    Not hard to get the hang and if by yourself nice and convient.
    As you get older as I have you will understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast