Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What kinda Leader ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What kinda Leader ?

I switched over this past winter from 10# Vicious To 30# Power Pro 8# Dia. Im not sure if its the line or the Heat this summer ,but catch rate went down. I was thinking of a Flouro leader. What do you guys suggest for Pullin Cranks and spider riggin. What brand and pound test?

Thanks Wilbur.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wilber, it's been "hashed" over many times on here. I use 8# test for everything. I use the Hj Vis yellow or green. I used to use 4#test, then moved up to 6, and now I'm at 8. I troll a lot and get snagged quite often in brush, logs, etc. I seem to loose less cranks with the 8# and if I get a Pike or Walleye I have a little bit heavier line to work with. Spring time gills 4#

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

I used to bass fish before i discovered Crappie fishing. After losing a real nice one due to weak line, i decided to go with braid. I tried the same 30/8 you are using and also noticed a significant decrease in my catch rate. So i wouldnt even consider it for Crappie w/o a leader. Use a strong lo-vis leader for pulling cranks, 10# at least. Maybe even 12 because you want to be able to pull loose if you get snagged. I vertical jig mostly and i like stren, just personal preference but it is strong and even with 6# you can pull most snags loose or straighten the hook.

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

So your sayin use like 10 or 12# Flouro leader?

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

JMO but yes thats what i'd use.

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

I am using 10/2 spider wire stealth and use a 10lb fluorocarbon leader a couple feet long on my casting/slip bobber rod.
    I also use the same leader on my spider rigging rods with 10lb hi vis mr. Crappie line.
    It doesn't make a big difference on the main lake I fish because its usually pretty stained but on clear waters I use a small diameter fluorocarbon for everything. It seems to help for me.