Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast can you fillet a crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How fast can you fillet a crappie?

My wife timed me tonite on a few crappie. We cought 45 and i was just courious about how fast i was at cleaning them. My time was 34sec. I use a regular berkley felet knife. No electric stuff for me. Whats everyones times? and with what knife electric or standerd? time yourselves and be honest......
    Happy Hooken.....

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I fillet pretty fast but use a real standard fillet knfe. I cut all of the fillet off without cutting out ribs later too. Saw some guys with electric knives said they were faster. Then they said almost as fast but then they had to go back and cut out the ribs.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

when i carried my nieghbors son a while back he was amazed at how quick i was cleaning the fish, i was using the electric and i showed him how to with a regular, he counted my avg on the electric at 35 missisippi's and then said try this knife, he counted 45 with the regular, that is a clean white piece of fish, no bones or skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Takes me about 2-3 minutes per fish for any panfish. I would love to see some of you guys do your thing. I'd also like to see your techniques for sharpening your knives. I've got an Edge pro sharpener that I'm getting better with. Its good for my kitchen knives but I haven't had as good of luck doing my fillet knives.

Which one of you made this video on cleaning crappie? Must be one of you guys! This is the speed at which I wish I could do it. I also posted this link on my post in the "off topic" forum.

Fillet Crappie - Faster Than Most!!! - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

good way to get you a not so pleasant trip to the ER. i use a fillet knife, leave the ribs in and take my time. bout a minute or so i guess on these sippi fish.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does everything have to be a competition? Biggest fish, fastest boat, fastest fillet time? Who cares?

OH WAIT, let's see who can sew up massive cuts to hands the fastest when the fastest fish cleaner becomes the fastest blood donor.

I take my time, get the most meat off each fish I can and could care less how fast I am. I also still have all my fingers.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never been cut by a fillet knife. Im not wreckless about it like that guy on the you tube video. That you tube video should be labaled THE FASTEST WAY TO WASTE CRAPPIE MEAT. Another name for that video could be THE FASTEST WAY TO GET SICK FROM THAT NASTEY CLEANEN BOARD.I dont sacrafise fillet quality for speed. I end up with boneless fillets and a carcass you could almost read a newspaper through. I was shocked when my wife told me how fast i was cleaning fish.
    Happy Hooken.....

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I do it. I know some will criticize me for leaving meat on the ribs but to me there just isn't enough there to worry about on panfish. Speed to me is no issue but I am fairly quick at it. I think between 45 seconds and 1 minute per fish. But the speed is not because I am trying to go fast it is just because I have cleaned many, many, panfish and could probably do it in the dark with my eyes closed. Of course I do not recommend that. Other than the meat around the ribs my carcasses are pretty much meatless when I am done.
    Fillet.wmv - YouTube
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Rates right up there with "Hey Watch this". EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I could maybe go a little fast but don't wanna slice my fingers off

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast