Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new member with a question

Post Thanks / Like

Default new member with a question

Hi everyone....I'm an intermediate fisherman...actually a fisherwoman but that sounds goofy. If you are a woman and fish what do you call yourself....besides addicted! My husband finally corrupted me and got me to try fishing and now I love it. I have learned to bait my own hook (it's like being a serial murderer.....each victim gets easier) and get the fish off the hook, even when it's way down there and I have to look into guts. We have a pond on our property with bass and crappie. Right now I have a question and need some expert advice or at least friendly advice. I am unemployed right now and looking for ways to make some money. There is a big RV campground being built just up the road from us and I want to possibly sell some bait. Walmart and one gas station are the only places to buy bait here and Walmart bait is either dead or dying most times. The gas station bait is good but very expensive. We live on the river and I could get my minnows free very easily. So this is my little endeavor....I would just as soon have it mapped out before I tell my husband that I am going to make our retirement a dream with live bait. I would like some advice about a live bait tank. Can I make one out of an old freezer and does the freezer have to work? How do you keep the bait from getting too cold? Anyone ever done this or have any advice? Thanks in advance

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Things might be alot different in Nebraska but down here a fiberglass bait tank is bought with a good aerater (the bubbling kind sitting in the water a bit from the top of the tank. The bubblers costs around $150 (guessing). I've also seen the concrete septic tanks used to hold bait in. In other words, it's an expense getting started. Then you need to find someone that sells minnows by the lb in case the ones you can catch arent the minnows of choice of the fishermen (and fisherwomen). Next...in this heat you may want the tank kept inside an air conditioned building. Lastly, you need to make yourself available for the daylight fishermen (around 5AM) and for the night time fishermen (@ 9PM)....and that's 7 days a week. Good luck with your new business.........and welcome from GEORGIA.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Florida. Ya might post this up down in the live bait section as I believe there is already some discussions about making minner tanks in there and they can help ya a ton. Good luck in your endeavor.

Post Thanks / Like

from Texas, and good luck with your new business adventure. Remember, it takes a little money to get started making a little money, then
    it grows and grows and grows. If you have property on a river that would float a kayak, you might consider a rental business. Folks like to do both.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Hoorah! Our business is making septic tanks! Bet I could sweet talk my husband into letting me have one for a banana cream pie or two. And I don't mind being available at all hours, running our own business and raising 5 kids has prepped me for that! Never be impressed if someone owns their own business unless their last name is Gates or Buffet! I have heard that a freezer can be used and you get it to be timed to be on only a few minutes and it keeps them cold. I have until next year to get this jelled. Thanks for the reply. I have a good friend in Georgia. People in Georgia might even be as good as rednecks as we are....maybe. We just bought a stock tank for the grandkids to swim in. And we get extra redneck points because we got it 1/2 price because a forklift dented it. My husband took a ball peen hammer to it and it looks pretty good now.

Post Thanks / Like

huntinslabs made a good suggestion. There was a pretty detailed post on building a minner tank from an old chest freezer on here somewhere. Do a search of post and you will likely find it. Good luck. Don't forget to check into any state/local regs on trapping/selling live bait also.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Better check stste regulations before going too far on collecting and/or selling live bait.

good luck
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What Nimrod said for sure....plus you will probably get better answers if you will post your questions about this over in the live bait forum.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

there is a post with the how toos "turning a freezer in to a minnow tank on the live bait form welcome and good luck