Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need everyone's opinion.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need everyone's opinion.

As of late I've had a nightmare of a problem with line twist. Could be a 2 part question here. I'm a big believer in Green Hi-vis Mono ( for senior folks problems) What is the best brand and With the least memory. don't care how pricey, this twist is killing me. It's on all my rods and I put on new stuff this spring. Just wondering if this 100-105 degree heat could have effected it?

Post Thanks / Like

ussually, line twist is from lack of a swivel on the line. i wouldnt think its the lines falt?

Post Thanks / Like

What are you draggin' on the end of that line? Generally the twist is caused by bait action. Never had that problem w/ any line draggin' jigs. You usin' a swivel if you're pullin' cranks, etc.?

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you spool it right when you first put it on? When putting line on ,after about 10 winds ,lower rod and let slack come in and stop reeling,if line try to twist ,you need to turn spool over and start winding. The line you have already on ,justunwind and let behind boat,then start winding or unwind in yard by walking it out,then wind up with a little drag on line,also in both cases ,do not have nothing tied to line. While fishing,make sure you do not wind line while drag is slipping,also checks barrel at reelat it is free. More than likely it is not the line but either in reel not working right or more probably something you are doing or have done and another line will not solve the problem. Not trying to point fingers but help solve your problem and others are going to say about the same thing
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

When you spool your reel make sure you putting it on the right direction, most of the time label up. Also if you will run a pot full of hot tap water and let the spool of line sit in it a few minutes before you spool it on it will help a bunch. If you fish with it a lot it will eventually create twist. I've tried dragging the line behind the boat and it does help but always seems to come back pretty quick. In that case what I like to do is; pull the line off out into the yard, spray some "Reel Magic" line conditioner on a rag, and then hold the line between a fold in the rag while applying some pressure and reeling the line back it. This seems to work better than dragging it behind the boat through the water. Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Line twist comes from either incorrect winding during installation or from the lure causing the twist. If from the initial install, let the line out while moving the boat slow and wind it back in while applying a little tension to the line. If the lure is causing it then look into using a swivel. If the problem is line memory which is the line trying to retain the diameter of the spool on your reel (my problem) what I did was switch to vicious Hi-Vis Yellow 6# line on a Shimano Sincopate 2500 reel ( large diameter spool ).

You do not cease to fish because you get old, You get old because you cease to fish

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

"Mr Crappie" Grizzly jigs
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a b. dance tip years ago about not closing your bail by turning the reel handle. He said it puts 1/2 twist in your line every time you close the bail by the handle and you should only close the bail by hand. I have been doing it for years and it has helped me. I still get some twist with certain lures but it really does make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mr crappie 6 and 8lb hi-vis on a few baitcasters and spinning reels and like it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

If you spooled it during the spring your over due for a change in my opinion. Also make sure you spool your line with a good amount of tension. Crankbaits without a swivel will also cause this. I usually use Trilene XL 4 or 6 pound test, its cheep and when it's time to respool it doesn't hurt the pocket book as bad. I respool once every two months or so.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast