Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Time, Some thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Time, Some thoughts

Have watched both recent episodes, last weekend and yesterday. I learned that it is extremely critical to pay attention to depth control first and foremost. Proved it out today, casting a small pond from shore. Started out at the bottom and sequentially worked my count down shallower. A count of "10" was the key for this area today (fishing over 18' of water). If I counted down to the bottom or anything deeper than 10, I got no bites on my jig. And if I started my slow retrieve sooner (shallower), I got no bites as well!

I'm a firm believer that successful fishing is all about depth & speed control. Learned that lesson early in the 70's from Buck Perry and subsequent teachings from the In'Fisherman. However, crappie appear to have the "edge" on these controls; requiring them to be ultra-precise at almost all times!

The shows were fine; however I'm still looking forward to seeing how a pro like Ronnie Capps does with jig casting and single rod fishing, vs. spider rigging. Most of us yankees up here <have to> fish that way. It's not even legal to fish the way you folks do down south! And I know a LOT of crappie anglers up in the northeast USA, who would really appreciate a lesson on fishing the way we all started out....with one rod.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that successful fishing is all about depth & speed control. Learned that lesson early in the 70's from Buck Perry and subsequent teachings from the In'Fisherman..
    Me too! The old "Fishing Facts" was the best mag ever, IMO.