Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slip Bobbers

Post Thanks / Like

Question Slip Bobbers

I don't mean to plug a company who is not a sponsor of this fine web site but has any one had any experience with the ESB slip bobbers?
    I've tried various methods of setting the depth of a jig under a bobber and seem to have a problem with the weight required to draw the line through the bobber and/or tangling/twisting preventing the jig from sinking.
    Then there is also the matter of the stop knot which I read is supposed to be movable up and down your line to change the depth you're fishing at. Problem is that whenever I adjust the stop knot the line curls so badly and is so weakened ..... just cut the line and retie the jig because that section of line is unusable. (Yes I wet the line and the knot first). The purchased stop knot is also trash at that point so I've gone to tieing my own stop knots from mono.
    Any tips from you pros would be appreciated by us rookies!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Pros...Not.:D

I use a piece of a small rubberband. I snag the one off the minnows most of the time.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

hogpaw

does the line curl and weaken if you adjust the rubber band up or down the line?

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try not pulling your knots so tight on your line. If you tighten them too tight, they wont slide without ruining your line. Before you trim the knot down, try to slide it up or down your line. Dont pull your knot so tight to start with and adjust it a little at a time. You want it just snug enuff to hold everything in place but not so tight that you cant move it without snarling your line. Might take a little practice to get the feel, but you'll get it. Take your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Bobbers

Hello,

I use ESB bobbers all the time here on Weiss Lake in AL. and think they
    are the greatest.
    I just order each bobber for the amount of weight I want to suspend and
    they always work for me.
    I have no trouble with the stop knot they supply with bobbers -
    (unless I over tighten) and there is no bead needed between knot and bobber.

Good Luck and Good Fishn,
    WIMPY

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip chaunc
    I ordered the ESB's, got their reply, paid through paypal, all within the hour.
    Could be testing them out this weekend.:D
    Fish for free this Sunday and my daughter and I plan on hitting the Cowanesque crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Field test time

Bought those bobbers on a Wednesday and they were in my mail box when I got home Friday evening. It stormed all weekend so they haven't seen water yet.
    I sat inside during a Saturday morning storm and tied a few jigs with deer,squirrel and calf hair on 1/32 oz red hook jig. Now to float them under a slip bobber and see how they work.
    There's nothing like catching fish on your own bait creations:D

Post Thanks / Like

I had a " How'd they work" request so I thought I'd share it here.
    I've only had two short experiences with them so far but I do like them better than regular bobbers. They are extreemly light weight material so they don't cast as far as a heavy bobber. But then they reel in tight to the jig so your depth control isn't limited by the casting.

I think I've tended to use one that is slightly too large for the weight of the jig that I put under it as it has been hit or miss wether or not the jig pulls the line through and sinks. 1/32 oz jig head.

I didn't want to risk loosing the new bobber so I tried putting another knot just above the jig to prevent loss of the bobber if/when I loose the hook. (bank fishing and not able to retrieve a lost bobber) It seems that knot kept getting hung up in the terminal end of the bobber and preventing the jig from sinking.

I've been using the tag line I trim after tieing on the jig to make the stop knot for the line. Tieing it loosly works just fine but I have to keep an eye on it as it seems to wander up the line during the casting process. Rod eyelets seem to move it .

I antisipate further field test work this weekend :D