Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Break Offs! Need Help Choosing Braided Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tired of Break Offs! Need Help Choosing Braided Line

I have been using 10 lb. Hi Vis Gold Stren mono. Washes up shallow on me way to bad when moving or turning the boat and I'm loosing way to much tackle. I want to try a yellow Hi-Vis braid and I've got my eye on the 30 lb test 8lb. diameter Power Pro and the new Power Pro SS Super Slick which is 40 lb test 6 lb. diameter.
    This will strictly be for my jig poles and spiderrigging rods, not for casting.
    Any body got any suggestions good or bad??
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Vicious hi vis works good for me
    Blakemore/Roadrunner pro staff
    Southern Pro Tackle/ Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Rodholders
    Ranger Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about a braided line?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious as to why you think you need braid in such heavy pound test ?? I use 10/2 PowerPro hi-vis on a casting outfit that I throw Roadrunners & Whirly Bees with ... and I can always depend on it to bend the hook open, on these lures. Now, that is provided that the lures are "hung up" by the hook & not lodged/wedged in a rock crevice.
    I have used Spiderwire 20/6 on an outfit that I primarily used for slipfloat/minner fishing, usually in standing timber. And I don't remember getting hung up bad enough to have to break off or cut the line.

That being said ... the worst problem I've had with braid is its tendency to stick to limbs (when wet) and/or tangle itself in the limbs, since it's so light & limp that a breeze can blow it around fairly easily. It's also so light that it tends to float, until the weight of the bait pulls it under.

If your 10lb test mono "washes up shallow" when you're moving, the heavier braid isn't going to remedy that. You may just need to have a heavier weight on your Spider Rigging setups & jigging outfits.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Power pro 15/3

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried braid on my spider rigging poles and had a real bad problem with it wrapping around the end of my poles. After 3 trips I took it off and trew it away.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

I have used braid for a long time and used a lot of different brands. Power Pro is probably the best bang for the buck, but I do like the Spider Wire that is white )don't remember the name), but I dont think you need to use any that is even near the strength you are talking about! I use 10/2, but would consider the 15/4 as well as its not over kill. I have never tried the 15 though.
    If yo have never used braid just make sure you leave some mono on the spool when you put on the braid because it will slip if you only use braid!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Power Pro for several years. Do not like it being so limp so bought the new slick Hi-vis Power Pro 6# dia. (easier for a old gent to work with) at Academy have not tried it yet but thank it will be much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Powerpro 10/2 here and it does straighten hooks.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use jigs with #4 or #2 hooks and my minnow hooks are always Eagle Claw 214EL Extra Lights. Are there certain knots that don't hold well with braid??
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast