Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel light size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel light size

I'm wanting a night fishing light but don't know how to choose the number of led's. How do yall choose the size of light to use?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 714 model. It is 23“ long. That will get the job done.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the biggest you can afford. I also have the 714. As ship said it will get the job done!

Post Thanks / Like

Wish we had a way of knowing how big of a circle that each light puts off in the water.

chucky is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muzzy125acc View Post
    Wish we had a way of knowing how big of a circle that each light puts off in the water.
    I had spoke to Bob at Reel Lites a few days ago. He said on his #612, it gives off a diameter of 15 ft. I believe the #714 will be just a little larger. I will find out this weekend since my wife and grandkids ordered me one for fathers day.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get by with a single 408. But in fishing with lights I feel like bigger is better because the more light that you have in the water....the more zooplankton you will attract. This will in turn attract more bait fish which will attract the fish that you want to catch. I have two lights now and use them both....I hang a 612 off the back of the boat and a 714 off the front. I submerge the lights at a depth of 4 to 5 ft. and I fish just outside the light ring.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chucky View Post
    I had spoke to Bob at Reel Lites a few days ago. He said on his #612, it gives off a diameter of 15 ft. I believe the #714 will be just a little larger. I will find out this weekend since my wife and grandkids ordered me one for fathers day.
    What size you go with? Let me know how it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by invertedn04 View Post
    I'm wanting a night fishing light but don't know how to choose the number of led's. How do yall choose the size of light to use?
    I'd have to say it may also depend on what you're fishing from? I have the smaller one, but fish from small boats (currently a Kayak), so I don't want to be trying to haul a 4' light in a 12' Kayak, as well as I carry 2 small (7AH) batteries, 1- for the FF and the other for the light. Guess what I'm trying to say is, use may dictate purchase in addition to funds.

chucky is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muzzy125acc View Post
    What size you go with? Let me know how it does.
    I was leaning towards the #612 but they got me the #714. I will give a report on the fishing and light when i get back.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    I'd have to say it may also depend on what you're fishing from? I have the smaller one, but fish from small boats (currently a Kayak), so I don't want to be trying to haul a 4' light in a 12' Kayak, as well as I carry 2 small (7AH) batteries, 1- for the FF and the other for the light. Guess what I'm trying to say is, use may dictate purchase in addition to funds.
    He has a marine battery pack that you can purchase that uses 8-D batteries that straps around your waist or neck. I was looking at the #612 and the pak because it had a 50 hour battery use, But they ordered the #714 so i am not sure what it is on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got last week and tried Saturday night a 714 and I am thinking about another one, but it did give light from a bit more then the length of my boat and on the other side from which it was hanging. My boat is 17' long.

Felt the need to add I didn't even fish over a brush pile, but will put one there soon. I did well even without the brush, but was over a creek so that helps too and not the first time I just tied up over a creek and did well.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast