Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Acton Lake (Hueston Woods) Report. (5-29)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Acton Lake (Hueston Woods) Report. (5-29)

In the two hours I was fishing this morning, I caught close
    to 15 crappie. I was casting roadrunners with a chartreuse jig.
    I did pretty good. Seven were at least medium sized females.
    (All had eggs!) I'll will add them to the mess I'm saving up for
    the family to eat later!

I also ran into these two situations this morning:

Catfish were all over any minnow I put under a bobber...
    I probably caught an easy dozen, all were eatible in size.

The carp are crazy right now... they will run over you; or
    bang into your boat... I thought I was being attacked!"

Gloves up!

Rick
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Default You're a brave soul, Rick

We wouldn't have gone down there on a bet on a holiday .

We did hit Acton for about three hours Saturday afternoon once we finished with the Hooked onFishng, Not on Drugs program in Dayton. We hit one pocket of fish, caught four saugeye and a 12' crappie. Bite went dead and that was that. Kept the largest saugeye and the crappie. She had eggs, but they were starting to get dull in color. For a 12' fish, she was thin. Didn't have any cats hit us, but the carp were going nuts. Most of what we caught were on crappie jigs tipped with a minnow .
    Both of us lost augeyes near the boat. They're a whole lot more fun and better eating than crappie, so we're probably going to target them more as the size increases. One good saugeye makes a meal for us.

Friday night we did some shore fishing at Rush Run so I could have fish to fillet at the HOFNOD program. We caught twentyor so andkept five betweenseven andeight inches. The females are loaedwith bright eggs, sothey're started tobed in the shallows. BTW, the biting gnats (punkies) are BAD near nightfall. I looked like I had been to Michigan during the black fly season.

Yesterday mornig, we took the canoe to RR. Had trouble finding much, but did get a chance to work on our light touch with a bunch of small bluegill and green sunfish in theshady shallows. Too hot even at ten in the mornign to sit in the sun and jig for the big boys. Also bothered by schools of bass fingerlings that would attack anything that hit the water. I was surprised that the bass are already off their nests there. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

(6-3) Ouch! I caught everything at Hueston woods this morning, but crappie. The water was stained from last nights rain - which can be good, and or; bad. I flipped jigs, and minnows under every bush, and limb, casted roadrunners to the mid level water, and I used a Kentucky rig in the deeper water. I even drifted minnows on tightlines in the deeper water on the east side of the lake. I probably caught 10 saugeyes - those babies should be great in a couple of years! "Oh well, I still had a good time!"
    "Gloves up!"
    Rick.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Acton 6/3 -Where did that front come from?

How brutal was that wind? Jeesh, that was unpleasaant, If it had been that windy at home, we wouldn't have bothered.

Hit thelake around 8:30 and started in our usual spot on the west side across from the lodge. I was throwing the same Culprit jig tipped with a minnow that I had been catching saugeye on the last two trips. Three channel cats hammered it. We moved over to the lodge to try to get out of the wind ( I had shorts on,for pete's sake) and then tried a couple of spots along the east bank before quitting. We ended up with three saugeye, three channel cats and one dink crappie (minnow under a bobber). The largest cat would have gone home with us if we had something else to keep it company. Maybe next week.
    BTW - Anybody coming over on Rt 725 - The road is closed at Rt 732 because of bridge repair on Rt 177. We had to lead some guys to the lake that didin't know what to take as an alternate. Just turn left off 725 onto Eaton-Oxford road, cross 177 onto the one lane road that runs past the cemetery, turn right at the crossroad and that will lead you right into thepark. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern