Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fishing in Arkansas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing in Arkansas

This kid from Louisiana caught this 17.5-inch/2-pound, 6-ounce Crappie on Lake Hamilton today about 12-feet deep on a Rosy Red minnow under a slip float.

His dad called me after they left the taxidermist's to say it is the biggest crappie the taxidermist has every mounted.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-04-2006 at 07:28 AM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tails

Note the wear on that fish's tail? Do all the big crappie show such wear and tearr on their tails. It appears as if that fish had been preparing a spawning nest so to speak by the wear on it's tail in the picture.

Nice fish though and I wish I could catch a mess of crappie that size once in a while down here.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now that is a Pig

I just wish I could catch one crappie over 16 inches
    That is Awesome!
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Jerry .....

That picture should be sent to the Taxidermist for coloration reference ... it would help them get the proper color and "blotching" effect on the mount. (I've seen Black Crappie mounts that were colored like polka-dotted Bass - and not the "pixel blotches" and "teal/green over white" coloration of a Crappie) That's a great picture ! .........nice fish, too, by the way !! :D ..............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Note the wear on that fish's tail? Do all the big crappie show such wear and tearr on their tails. It appears as if that fish had been preparing a spawning nest so to speak by the wear on it's tail in the picture.

Nice fish though and I wish I could catch a mess of crappie that size once in a while down here.
    Hey Greg:

Usually the wear we see on males from fanning spawning beds is on the bottom of the tail.

We see quite a few larger crappie with splits or other damage to their tales, probably caused by predators like gar or maybe just wear and tear from chasing down food.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    That picture should be sent to the Taxidermist for coloration reference ... it would help them get the proper color and "blotching" effect on the mount. (I've seen Black Crappie mounts that were colored like polka-dotted Bass - and not the "pixel blotches" and "teal/green over white" coloration of a Crappie) That's a great picture ! .........nice fish, too, by the way !! :D ..............cp
    Thanks CP:

The fish was alive when it arrived at the taxidermist so I hope he took a picture of it - at least he had a chance to see it in it's "natural" state.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fanning the nest

I have seen those " boy" fish with their tail fins worn off, down to where the flesh meets the bottom half of the tail fin. The wear seems to all ways be about at a 30 degree angle. Anyone ever notice this?
    Wonder why? Are they always looking up?

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I have seen those " boy" fish with their tail fins worn off, down to where the flesh meets the bottom half of the tail fin. The wear seems to all ways be about at a 30 degree angle. Anyone ever notice this?
    Wonder why? Are they always looking up?

Cane Pole
    Hey Tom:

I guess in order to get their tail close enough to the bottom to fan out a depression their head would have to be higher than their tail to keep from rubbing their belly against the bottom.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am

Could it be the tail was damaged in when (if) it was netted?? Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Great fish. That's one happy boy and rightfully so.Good job Jerry

Does your taxidermist do replicas or skin mounts/
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-04-2006 at 07:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast