Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ft Campbell and surrounding area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ft Campbell and surrounding area

I have a buddy that just got shipped off to Ft Campbell, Ky for a week or possibly more of some military training. He is a crappie fisherman and was wanting to find a place to fish after work, on post or in the surrounding area. Can anyone tell me where I might point him to go throw a bait and catch a fish or two? He said he would just like to find a place that was senic or had some catching action like whites below a dam or something. He was just going to go to the local wally world and pick up a rod and a handfull of jigs and fish some waters he probably wont ever get to fish again.

Any help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gooch

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Gooch ....

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    I have a buddy that just got shipped off to Ft Campbell, Ky for a week or possibly more of some military training. He is a crappie fisherman and was wanting to find a place to fish after work, on post or in the surrounding area. Can anyone tell me where I might point him to go throw a bait and catch a fish or two? He said he would just like to find a place that was senic or had some catching action like whites below a dam or something. He was just going to go to the local wally world and pick up a rod and a handfull of jigs and fish some waters he probably wont ever get to fish again.

Any help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gooch
    According to my Atlas ...... Ft Campbell has a couple of small lakes, and a lot of creeks in it. Don't have a clue as to their fishing potential, though.
    Also, even though it's called Ft Campbell "KY" ... most of it is in TENN. I don't know where he's from, or where he's licensed ... but, if he's active military, and fishes Ft Campbell waters - he may not need a license. Otherwise, he'd probably have to purchase a license (non-res) for the state he's fishing in. If he's fishing on June 3rd-4th in KY - he doesn't need any (Free Fishing Days). Tenn has a Free Fishing Day .... June 10th.

He's also not that far from Barkley Lake, if he has access to off post transportation. Check out : http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...3d&ambiguity=1

While he's in the "local Wal-Mart" ... he may want to pick up a copy of the state Rules & Regs (KY or TN), and check out the license laws (or call the Wildlife people of either state, and ask about what he needs. They may also be able to give him information about WHERE he can fish (since he's probably bank bound).

He's got a lot of water within 50mi of Ft Campbell ... if he wants to travel that far. He might want to check with some of the guys on post .... and see where they suggest going. He might even hook up with someone that fishes some of the local waters, or would be willing to share expenses for a trip to Barkley or the Cumberland River. They would also be aware of what license is needed, and what his military status will get him (as far as license requirements go).

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this, as I really don't have all that much info to give. ................ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help Pappy I know my buddy will appreciate the advice as I do. I think he got "volunteered" to go to some rapelling school. The middle aged, out of shap crappie man, is out of his leauge with all the younger infantry guys. He needs a place to unwind up there and as we all know a few hours of crappie fishing can cure just about anything.