Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essentials for very FIRST fish fry!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Essentials for very FIRST fish fry!

I have the fish (walleye, crappie, sand bass, bream, & striper)

Now I just need to know what essentials I need to go buy and where I can get them. Anyone have a master list of this kind? Looking at Memorial Day weekend as the prime time. Can I get almost everything at the grocery store or will I need to travel BPS or Academy?

THANKS -- I LOVE THIS SITE!

Post Thanks / Like

the "list" really depends on you & what all your gonna feed your Guest , Lots of times if its just the 4 of us we wont fry up anything except fish !!! It take alot of fish when you dont have french fries & hush puppys to go with em !, Also cole slaw and or a salad , ALL kinds of things can go with a Fish Fry & the more you have with , the less fish it will take

good luck & Enjoy !!! btw we only use 2 batters one dry & the other a beer batter used with the dry batter, the dry batter is 1/2 flour & 1/2 corn mea/ and salt and pepper to taste , then if you wanna make a beer batter , just add enough beer to that same dry mixture , make pretty good hush puppy mix base as well !!

Post Thanks / Like

You need a good gas cooker witha big pot and a BIG slotted spoon...I also use the flip-n-fry to batter up my fish...Makes clean-up quick and easy. I like to use paper bags to put the cooked fish in...layer with paper towels and sliced onion...oil should be about 350 degrees...I like to use a thermometer to make sure it stays under 400 degrees but not under 325...Don't put too much fish in fisrt. I do the fries last as it helps clean up the oil some...

Post Thanks / Like

I have the flip-n-fry and a good gas cooker, however, I was thinking of buying a fry daddy.

I was thinking the fish with:
    Fries
    Hush Puppies
    Either potato salad or cole slaw
    Maybe some fried veggies

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a very informative article. It includes comprehensive tips for frying including oils, temps, and such. There are also some other recipes that I have not seen elsewhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/g...es-and-recipes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ceb -- Great article.

You'll be happy to know I bought a deep fryer last night at Wally World. Getting closer as we speak...man I'm hungy!

Post Thanks / Like

My personal favorite oil to use is peanut. It will last for several cookings.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget baked beans and a red onion.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO no fish fry should be without hushpuppies. As far as what extras, it's up to you and your guests. Generally when we fry fish, we use Bass Pro's Uncle Buck's Light & Crispy fish meal or House of Autry. I prefer homemade hushpuppies but House of Autry has a good hushpuppy mix. The last time I fried fish, I fried hot wings and they were great. French fries are good as well. You can buy some frozen already cut or cut up potatoes yourself. A friend of mine makes a darn good Suzie-Q cake that is a must at our gatherings. Most of the items you need for a fish fry can be found at a grocery store. If you need a fish fryer, then you'll need to go to Bass Pro and while you're there, pick up some of their Light & Crispy fish meal. Very, very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Family, Good Friends,and Cold Beer....these are essential ingredients

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast