Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Not new here, just been away a while

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not new here, just been away a while

So I thought I'd say "hello" to everyone here! Haven't been fishing since last year, but just renewed my License, so at least I'm legally ready to go now. Was a mild winter, so after returning from a trip south (into Alabama), I spent much of the winter metal detecting farm fields. Well, since farming is back in full-swing, looks like it's time to do a little fishing. Dad's back from Florida, and he's itching to go as well.

Anyhow, hope everyone has been well, and looks like I've got some catch-up reading to do here since I slacked-off over the winter

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back from Indiana
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Metal detecting plowed fields and I'm into looking for arrowheads in plowed fields.

That is what happens when the fish ain't biting, always something out there waiting to

be done. Hope you found lots of treasure. Welcome back.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back! Ever go lookin on one of the Civil War battlefields?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

I'm pretty much considered a "coin-shooter", since coins are what I prefer to hunt. I overlay old plat maps onto Google Earth, and locate where old homesteads, churches, and schools once sat. Any time I can find a few old coins, I'm happy. This past fall provided me with some nice finds, which included a Barber Half Dollar, a Flying Eagle Cent, a mid 1800's Half Dime, and many more typical finds (Indian Head Pennies, Large Cents, Wheat Pennies, etc.). In the process, I also find other items laying on the surface, like arrowheads and clay marbles.

I was given permission to hunt several sites owned by the same farmer, and my 1st hunt I'd found a WWII Hat Pin which belonged to his Grandfather (who'd lived in the house which had once stood there). He was happy when I handed it to him. I'd also managed to locate 2 wedding rings his son had lost.

There wasn't much in the way of Civil War action in Indiana, other than Corydon. Most who hunt CW sites won't share them (take someone other than a good friend), which is understandable. There were only so many items lost, so unlike taking someone to a favorite fishing hole, they aren't replenished. I have found a couple related CW buttons at some of the local sites (here in Central Indiana). Many of the CW sites around the country are protected (Historical Sites), and off-limits to detecting. Civil War items seem to be the cream of the crop for many who detect, but I'm perfectly happy just finding a few old coins or tokens here and there. While I'd love to hunt some CW sites (private property surrounding battlefields and camps), I'd also like to hunt the New States for old colonial coins and relics from the early settlers, but not holding my breath on either Thumbs Up

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back from GEORGIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey from Alabama.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

welcome aboard