Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amount of crappie to feed 20

Post Thanks / Like

Default amount of crappie to feed 20

I am cooking for about 20 men this weekend with hushpuppies, fries, and crappie. What would you recomend as an adequeate number of crappie, currently i have about 200 fillets.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eating numbers

I donated the filets for a fish fry for our church a few months back. There was 80 people (men, women, and children) and we cooked right at 480 filets (5.1 filets each) with side dishes and had about 10 filets left. These were mostly big fish. Being all men, I would suggest about 6 filets each for 120-130 filets. But now you have to cook for 21 since I know you're cooking!!!!
    Have fun and I hope I haven't steered you wrong.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish fry

For what is worth for the wife and myself we cook 1# of fillets and have 1 or 2 fillets left. So I would think you need somewhere around 1 1/4# for every two men. You know how much some people can eat so may take a few more.
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many fillets

I agree with the suggestion of 6 fillets each, which would be 120 total.
    I cook for 3-4 large frys each year and the main goal is to NEVER run short of fish. I always throw in a few extra and the left overs make excellent fish sandwiches heated in oven broiler or toaster oven. [Never use microwave for left over fried fish]
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    I am cooking for about 20 men this weekend with hushpuppies, fries, and crappie. What would you recomend as an adequeate number of crappie, currently i have about 200 fillets.

Post Thanks / Like

I fry up fillets quite often just for family gatherings where I am cooking for 10 people. My fillets are from 10 to 12 inch crappie. I usually fry around 70 to 75 fillets and usually a few left over over my lunch the next day.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies, i think to be safe i may "have" to go fishing again to try and get a few more. thanks for you help

Post Thanks / Like

If you figure 1/2 lb each person and then add 1 lb it will work out. That is what I do.
    Cooked 6 lbs Thursday and that fed 12 and a few pieces left.
    Will be cooking for 15 this Saturday and will figure 9 lbs of fillets for them. but my little sister in law can out eat 2 men. so I have to figure extra for her.
    Pete

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

My formula is with all the fixin's. I cook a quart bag full of fillets for every 4 adults eating fish. This is how I freeze mine , in quart bags. You can't really go by # of fillets as sizes of fish vary. But if they are big eaters , does'nt hurt to thaw out extra fillets. Last summer we had a family reunion and I cooked 20 bags of fillets ! Man, we expected @ 75 persons and had lots left over ! I would rather have leftovers than someone go still hungry .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

i used to cook crappie at work for about 10 guys and 60 filets would be plenty with all the fixings.200 will be more than anough.you will have afew bums who want to eat but dont want to bring anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my formula...

Cook as many filets as you can and if you run out start frying chicken...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast