Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I would like to hear about reports from Red River around natchitoches to Shreveport

natch Guest

Default I would like to hear about reports from Red River around natchitoches to Shreveport

I have been having trouble finding fish on the main river, is there a trick to catching them different from the ox-bow lakes......let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natch
    I have been having trouble finding fish on the main river, is there a trick to catching them different from the ox-bow lakes......let me know!

Hey, natch........Welcome to crappie.com and the LA board. We fish the RR above lock and dam #5. We put in at Clarks landing and hit the cutoffs on both sides, going both up and downriver. Right now, the RR is somewhat silty due to rain, but the cutoffs should be better. The crappie are in transition between the fall and winter patterns and are easy to find, but hard to catch.
    If you put in at Clarks ask them to show you where these cutoffs are on their map: "the white house" and "caspiana." Also, ask where the crappie are being caught, they will be glad to give you an idea about where to start. You might buy a map there if they have them in stock. No real trick in catching them, we use jigs mostly in pumpkinseed, blue and white, black and chartruce, and pearl and pink in 1 1/2" length. The hard part is getting them to bite. If you can find a bunch that are in a feeding attitude, you can load the boat. Same thing for Grand Bayou at Coushatta and Black Lake at Campti. They are there, and can be caught if you can hit them at the right time. I wish I could tell you when, it's going to be slow 'til they get into their winter pattern.

Glad to have you aboard, natch, you are the 7th member to sign on in NW LA, and the 18th in the state. Looking forward to reading your posts, so don't be a stranger. You'll find this site a good source for tips and techniques, don't be afraid to ask. Maybe we could learn some of your tips too. Good luck, and again....welcome.