Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new guy

gulog1 Guest

Default new guy

i fished cayuta lake on saturday very choppy because of wind. i got skunked. anyone have any luck in the area?

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh - a very first post - maiden post ya might say. Certianly deservs a prompt response. Welcome aboard!:D

Isn't Cayuta the smaller lake to the east of Seneca. I took a road trip there last summer and kayaked around the northern shallow, I think there were 12 boat trailers in the lot that day.

I been staying closer to home on the PA border and starting to find crappie on live minnow in the 15 to 20 feet deep range. Water temp read low 50's late Sunday but the fish coming up from down there were much colder than that!
    Find some structure around that depth and drop shot a live one down there and hope for the best. If I remember correctly that lake is so old that there won't be any trees or wood of any sort so I suppose my first choice would be the drop offs along the western shore.
    Good Luck!

gulog1 Guest

going to try again tom. thanks for the advice. if its windy think ill try waneta or lamoka.

Post Thanks / Like

Lamoka... I hear there is a drop off north of Welliver Island which causes the weed bed to end rather abruptly. Dropping live minnow down deep and letting it swim around should raise some nice perch. Jack perch was the term I hear but I have no idea what they may be. Anything with black stripes and orange fins is a perch to me.:p
    A lot of the fish in that lake have teeth and may be spawning about now - makes um ornery. If I were in that neighborhood I'd wander on into the channel to Bradford pond to the south and toss a topwater over the weed beds just to see what may be there. Season on pickerel opens in about two weeks:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Perch

Ahoy mates !

The fella asking about "jack perch" or "jacks" ..... that simply means a big fat perch, bud !

In some parts of the state, like in the Finger Lakes Region, big perch are also known as "elephants" or jumbos".

Kaptain K. ....... see you out on the water !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forgot to say ......

Hey Gulog !

I forgot to mention ..... "Welcome aboard !"

I'll be away for a few weeks, and I'll be back on the forum
    upon my return.

Tight lines !

Kaptain K. ..... outta here for awhile ...

gulog1 Guest

got a couple on saturday it was windy again but im stubborn so i stayed. going to try waneta and lomaka wed or thursday.