Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Crappie lake in norther ky

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Best Crappie lake in norther ky

I always fish ohio and I've only fished ky once and it was for bass. I was wanting to head down there to catch some nice slabs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. What would you all consider the best crappie lake in northern ky, say north of Lexington. Thanks alot.

Post Thanks / Like

The only lakes I know of North of Lex. that would be good for Crappie would be Taylorsville or Cave Run. Of those Taylorsville would probably be the best although I havn't fished either in some time. Your best Crappie lakes in KY would be Barkley and KY Lake although with the price of gas being what it is those trips would cost quite a bit more. Maybe someone else can chime in here. Best of luck! - Newlight

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run is becoming a better crappie lake each year. Last year was a very good year with large numbers of 12-14 inch fish caught. The KY Dept. Fish & Wildlife have rated the Cave as good this season for both black and white crappie.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hoytman ......

Quote Originally Posted by HOYTMAN
    I always fish ohio and I've only fished ky once and it was for bass. I was wanting to head down there to catch some nice slabs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. What would you all consider the best crappie lake in northern ky, say north of Lexington. Thanks alot.
    There really aren't any Slab holding waters in "Northern KY" (North of Lex) ... most lakes between Cinn & Lex are very small waters.
    Cave Run & Taylorsville are actually East & West of Lex. (respectively) and about 1.5hrs drive from here. The better waters are all South of Lex. ... Green River Lake, Rough River Lake, Barren River Lake, KY/Barkley, Lake Cumberland, and Dale Hollow. The closest being Cumberland, again a 1.5hr drive (minimum).
    Right now ... Taylorsville & Cave Run are both above pool, for this time of year ... and are probably a little murky to muddy. Give them a week to settle down, and if we don't have any more "Frog Choker" rains ... either or both of them should be in pretty good shape. Expect lots of 8-11" fish as the norm, in either lake ... with a better chance of a 12" or longer fish from Cave Run. Fish either one with jigs or minnows around standing/fallen timber, in the 4-10ft depths.
    And don't forget to have your Non-Res Fishing License, boat registration papers, and all appropriate safety equipment (for the specific length of your boat) & life jackets !! And be sure and find out whether or not you have to pay to launch/park ... depending on which lake you go to, and/or which ramp you use !! (the fee is usually $3/day on State/COE lakes). Some ramps, like the one at the Settlers Trace Marina on Taylorsville, have a "courtesy box" ... where you fill out a envelope, put your $3 in the envelope and then put the envelope into the "courtesy box" ... and tear the "numbered tag" off the envelope and place it on the dash. (see this link: http://parks.ky.gov/faqs/index.htm#boatramp )

............ luck2ya ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    There really aren't any Slab holding waters in "Northern KY" (North of Lex) ... most lakes between Cinn & Lex are very small waters.
    Cave Run & Taylorsville are actually East & West of Lex. (respectively) and about 1.5hrs drive from here. The better waters are all South of Lex. ... Green River Lake, Rough River Lake, Barren River Lake, KY/Barkley, Lake Cumberland, and Dale Hollow. The closest being Cumberland, again a 1.5hr drive (minimum).
    Right now ... Taylorsville & Cave Run are both above pool, for this time of year ... and are probably a little murky to muddy. Give them a week to settle down, and if we don't have any more "Frog Choker" rains ... either or both of them should be in pretty good shape. Expect lots of 8-11" fish as the norm, in either lake ... with a better chance of a 12" or longer fish from Cave Run. Fish either one with jigs or minnows around standing/fallen timber, in the 4-10ft depths.
    And don't forget to have your Non-Res Fishing License, boat registration papers, and all appropriate safety equipment (for the specific length of your boat) & life jackets !! And be sure and find out whether or not you have to pay to launch/park ... depending on which lake you go to, and/or which ramp you use !! (the fee is usually $3/day on State/COE lakes). Some ramps, like the one at the Settlers Trace Marina on Taylorsville, have a "courtesy box" ... where you fill out a envelope, put your $3 in the envelope and then put the envelope into the "courtesy box" ... and tear the "numbered tag" off the envelope and place it on the dash. (see this link: http://parks.ky.gov/faqs/index.htm#boatramp )

............ luck2ya ......... cp
    I was just curious....How much rain do you have to get before it qualifies as a FROG CHOKER?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I'm not sure .....

Quote Originally Posted by ky-slabseeker
    I was just curious....How much rain do you have to get before it qualifies as a FROG CHOKER?
    LOL !!! Liked that little saying, huh ?? Picked that one up from my Grandfather :D ...... cp