Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Plastics on toledo Bend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastics on toledo Bend

Which plastics do ya'll use- grubs, tubes etc.
    What brand and colors?
    What presentation do you use?
    Thanks everyone!
    I've been using live shiners and maybe thinking about going plastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastics or minnows......

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    Which plastics do ya'll use- grubs, tubes etc.
    What brand and colors?
    What presentation do you use?
    Thanks everyone!
    I've been using live shiners and maybe thinking about going plastic!
    Angela......I like tubes for vertical tightlining, and the twister tail grubs for casting, in whatever color they will bite. My last trip to Grand Bayou taught me to have some Rosies along with the plastics to hedge my bets. There have been few times that plastics weren't what they wanted, and that's when I wished I had the live bait to fall back on. Most times they will bite on plastics, but you can tip a jig with a small minnow and have the best of both. Good luck......

Post Thanks / Like

What are you referring to "Rosies"?

Post Thanks / Like

Angella I fish Toledo yearly but for a bass tournament that me and my buddy put together. but I do make time after the tourney to stay an extra day for sacalait fishing and there are a few like Deacon and Tee that don't fish the tourney and prefer to fish strickly sacalait all weekend Deacon and my nephew got on some nice ones last year but I think they used shiners I have caught some really healthy slabs on road runners this is a lead head jig which comes with a plastic or hair body that has a spinner attached directly to the lead head I throw these out over points in the lake depending on how deep the fish are staging. If you can find a river channel holding fish then troll these behind the boat useing you troll motor to hold you on coarse over the channel marker bouys make it a lot easier to stay on fish by throwing them over when you pick up fish over certain areas.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sacalait steve
    Angella I fish Toledo yearly but for a bass tournament that me and my buddy put together. but I do make time after the tourney to stay an extra day for sacalait fishing and there are a few like Deacon and Tee that don't fish the tourney and prefer to fish strickly sacalait all weekend Deacon and my nephew got on some nice ones last year but I think they used shiners I have caught some really healthy slabs on road runners this is a lead head jig which comes with a plastic or hair body that has a spinner attached directly to the lead head I throw these out over points in the lake depending on how deep the fish are staging. If you can find a river channel holding fish then troll these behind the boat useing you troll motor to hold you on coarse over the channel marker bouys make it a lot easier to stay on fish by throwing them over when you pick up fish over certain areas.
    Angella,
    I find it really helps when fishing an area like Toledo Bend to wear some good polarized sun glasses. You can not imagine the difference it makes in seeing under water structure. Especially the ones about 3-4 feet under the water.
    And remember, Fish slow and fish deep. To me tightlining is the way to go.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are great! Thanks for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Angela.....

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    What are you referring to "Rosies"?

They're called either Rosy Reds or Red Tuffies, depending on where you live. They are a cross between the "fathead minnow" and some other minnow I can never remember the name of. The result is a tough minnow that is a reddish/orange color that will outlast shiners 5 to 1, and the sacalait seem to love 'em. They can be hard to find as many fishermen buy them in quantity and keep them for long periods in cool weather. If you find some, be sure to buy enough to last a few trips, they may not be there if you go back for more. One more fact you need to be aware of......check them for livelyness, if they act sluggish they won't last long. If the store you get them from doesn't keep their water clean, fresh and chemically balanced, they will get parasites that will weaken them, as any other minnow will. Give them a try, and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks