Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Eddy Creek on Barkley Lake Fishing Spots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eddy Creek on Barkley Lake Fishing Spots

Here is a FHS map screen shot from my computer. I marked a lot of general areas where I would fish if I were going to Eddy creek next week.

Water is coming up according to reports. I would fish these area and adjust according to the wind conditions. If not wind then it would be a blast to spend an entire week fishing in this creek. North wind find calm areas on the North Side of the bay out of the wind to help with boat control. Vise Vera for a South Wind. Find calm shallow area with buck brush and you should fill the coolers this week unless a cold front comes though.

The rising waters should flood the banks and the fish will go shallow not only to spawn but to find food. A rain could wash worms and other food items into the bay so don't forget to check out the mouth of small ditches or creeks that flow into this bay. If it's really warm and the water temps are stable I would not forget to check the very back end of the bay. You may need to fish with a slip bobber and cast out away from the boat to avoid spooking fish in shallow water. I have seen KY lake crappie caught in the very back of Cypress Creek in only 2ft of water.

Note: The mouth of Eddy creek has the river channel swinging really close to the North shoreline. There looks like a submerged island or deep hole near this area. And the small bay off the main lake may hold some crappie here at times. I would not pass by this area. Especially in march or Oct. Crappie may stage here before entering the bay to head to the back of the bay to spawn. Also any area where the creek channel swings close to the shoreline or a feeding shelf or flat in 10ft or less of water would be worth checking out. The area where the bay is squeezed down to pass though a tight spot is also a good spot to fish. Fish moving to the back of the bay will have to pass though this spot and it's always good to fish here a while. And if the weather is really stable and the back of the bay warms up to 60 deg the fish may be in the very back of the bay spawning in only 2 or 3 ft of water or less. They may be so far back into the buck brush that they are hard to reach at times. It depends on the water clarity and the weather ie water temps and soil type.

Find some sandy marl type bottoms that can hold the shape of a fish next. soft muck may not work well for nesting as it won't hold a shape and the mud can cover the eggs and keep them from hatching. The best spots are going to be semi soft bottoms that can hold the bowl shape.

Last edited by Moose1am; 04-05-2006 at 04:07 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Neat, but you missed a hotspot of mine for spawning crappie in Eddy Creek. I rarely fish up that way any more so I can tell where it is.

See that little black square in the back of Tinsley Hollow? From there on to the vey back is covered in buck brush and it really holds the spawning fish. Later on after the crappie are done the mustard grass in there is a great place for Red Ears.
    Likes Hotpepper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks driller:

I was hoping that more people would look at the map and show talk about more spots. I got a PM from someone going to Eddy Creek next week and they wanted to know some info on the area. That spot was noticed by me the first time I looked at this map. It's the closes bay on the north side near that submerged island where the creek channel comes by the old Cumberland River Channel. Always a good spot if the winds are calm. With a south wind that may be hard to fish boat control wise. But with a North wind it would be protected and that is a good early spring spawning area for slabs.

I am sure that I missed a lot of good spots. If anyone else knows of some good areas to mark please jump in here and give some more advise.

I am not going to be fishing this area but wish I were. LOL Man with this weather it should be a good time to be on Barkley Lake.

I fished this bay a long time ago with my Dad, Uncle and my First cousin. My cousin broke him arm playing football two days before we left but still went with us and caught his share of nice crappie one handed. It was a fun trip. I do remember catching the crappie along the edge of buck brush that day.

Quote Originally Posted by driller
    Neat, but you missed a hotspot of mine for spawning crappie in Eddy Creek. I rarely fish up that way any more so I can tell where it is.

See that little black square in the back of Tinsley Hollow? From there on to the vey back is covered in buck brush and it really holds the spawning fish. Later on after the crappie are done the mustard grass in there is a great place for Red Ears.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-05-2006 at 04:30 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

The area you have marked where 730 crosses the bay is silted in there is no 12ft water and if you dont know how to get back there you will be in knee deep water for a long ways. I live close that area you would not believe how fast that area is turning into a giant mud flat.