Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly Rod Trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Rod Trolling?

Is it possible to slow troll or drift with the wind using a fly rod and instead of the fly reel use a spincast reel???

Post Thanks / Like

I do that. I had a little trouble getting the reel to fit in the reel seats on my fly rod. It is a 3wt. and has a small seat. I ended up buying a small spinning reel at BPS that fit-but snug. I also use a 5wt. G.Loomis rod some and the reels fit it better. I really like using the fly rods! I have thought about using the fly reels and leaving the fly line on and tying a 4 or 6 lb. leader on the end. That way when you catch a fish you could just pull in the line like you do when actually flyfishing and not have to reset your depth. Do you use them to flyfish any? I try to get up to North Arkansas as often as I can...there is some really good trout water up there.
    He among you who is without sin...cast the first stone.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Works Real Good---have To Hold The Rod In Toyr Hand Instead Of Rod Holders
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Flyrods will fit in the Driftmaster holders.
    He among you who is without sin...cast the first stone.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If you want to ....

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Is it possible to slow troll or drift with the wind using a fly rod and instead of the fly reel use a spincast reel???
    there shouldn't be anything stopping you. You can put a spincast or spinning reel on a fly rod .. I've got two - rigged with spinning reel & baitcast reel (thought I don't actually "troll" with them, usually more tightline & drift fishing).
    You don't have to put the reel in the reel seat, either. I have the baitcaster in the reel seat ... but, with the spinning reel, I attached it to the cork handle with elec tape. It ain't "purty", but it is functional. ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Yes. I do it a lot. As far as I know, there are two ways with a fly line. One is with a floating fly line for suspending fish with the streamer fly or mini/micro jig below a small float on the leader (this is what I do mostly). The other way is with a sink-tip or full sinking fly line for fish that are deeper.

It can also be done the way you described using a spincast reel on the fly rod and monofiliment line.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

The best is an 11 foot B&M jig pole, using No-Bo main line, metered at every three feet, and a Penn 109 reel, with a three foot clear Berkley leader, using a 1/16 jig tipped with salted shrimp, a meal worm, or a small minnow. That's it for trolling.

Don