Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Natural Gas Fish Cookers-Who Uses One?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Natural Gas Fish Cookers-Who Uses One?

Does anybody use one? Who made it?

I was wondering how the gas was controlled, needle valve, or just a plain brass ball valve, and what kind of burner does it use?

I have found some 20-40 jet burners for $40, but flame control is my concern. Also, how many jets is over kill.

I am looking to heat about gallon of grease to fry fish, and then several gallons to fry turkeys.

I searched and found some cookers that use natural gas but they only put out 50,000 BTU, except of one and it put out 130,000 BTU but was $200.

Sorry for the ramble.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

something to consider, I have bought propane gas grills (Weber) on sale for half price or so, and then just order the NG parts needed to convert it over which is usually just the orifice and burner tubes on weber grills. the oem control knobs work just fine. see if anyone makes the orifice and burner element for NG for the one you're looking at.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Natural gas runs lower pressure than LP, so when converting from LP to natural gas, orfices can be drilled, but have to be sized (drilled) properly. Also different pressure regulators. Not something someone should fool with unless they have some experience. Hold-out and pay extra for what you want.....alot cheaper than an explosion.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just use the crawfish pot burner? That's what must of us down here use.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I want, but one that runs off Natural Gas.

The link picture is of a natural gas burner. I'm just gonna buy it and a needle valve they sell for it, and build my own stand. cost $80 for the burner, and I think $25 for the needle valve.

http://www.texastastes.com/i/612010.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That should work for a crawfish burner. Due to the lack of pressure in natural gas systems, lots of jets are required to get the BTU's up - appears that one should work just fine. Yes, go with the needle valve. Ball valves are met to be full open or full closed only - not to regulate flow.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Got the burner ordered, $67 after freight. I'll post up the results of this project when it is completed.

Thanks for the help.

Robert