Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie.com Person of the Year Award - JMMA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie.com Person of the Year Award - JMMA

Please read below, member Shipahoy41 initially proposed the below new "Person of the Year" process, which we have adopted for 2011. Thanks, Ship.

I propose that the Crappie.com Persons of the Year award, presented around Thanksgiving, be officially renamed THE JOHN MOES MEMORIAL AWARD (JMMA for short). An award plaque would be kept in the headquarters of Crappie.com, that would have the names of all the recipients on it. A comparable plaque or award would then be given individually to the recipients. All members, regardless of age or gender, are eligible for this recognition. This is a site with thousands of members, so I propose that a minimum of one and a maximum of three individuals, annually, could be selected to receive such recognition. This is the most distinguished honor that Crappie.com
    can bestow on a member, and should be revered by the award winners.

We desire to keep the memory of Ed Moes father and mentor alive through these awards, and make this a lasting memorial to him (See BIO below). Good fishing character is learned through direct teaching from those around us, and by watching how others behave. Our goal is to recognize and profile those members, who have exemplified the goal of Crappie.com to educate, mentor, and serve our fishing community.

This award is not based upon popularity, but upon your service. Members can not campaign for this award, nor elect themselves. "Let your light so shine before men that they will see the good that you do". As such, all members may nominate someone. The final selection will be conducted as outlined in the steps below. There will not be any public voting, so that we might ensure the integrity of this award.

CRITERIA FOR NOMINATION: Crappie.com is a FAMILY oriented “Teach a person how to fish” website, that any age fisherperson can visit. What has the individual nominee done to further this objective?

Trustworthiness and Respect: Be honest in forum discussions, don’t deceive, don’t cheat in tournaments, or steal from others, & treat others with respect. Treat the environment with respect by picking up litter from the fishing banks/waters. Practice the Golden Rule, & be tolerant and accepting of differences. Use good boating manners, not bad language.

Responsibility and Fairness: Do what you are supposed to do, plan ahead, persevere, & keep on trying. Always do your best, help promote Crappie.com, & be self-disciplined on your job. Play by the rules when tournament fishing, obey the laws of the waters you fish, & contribute your ideas for teaching what you know about crappie fishing. Be open-minded and listen to others ideas and views on the forums.

Caring and Citizenship: Be kind to others. Be compassionate and show you care when one of our members requests prayer or has a crisis. Express gratitude when someone does something nice for you. Forgive others who do not have boating courtesy. Help, and teach, our youth about fishing. Help others when you are able, do your share to make your community and Crappie.com better. Get involved in youth fishing events.

Additionally, consider the Crappie.com Code of Conduct (see Code of Conduct Here)

TO ALL MEMBERS NOMINATING ANOTHER MEMBER FOR THIS AWARD- consider the Criteria, Code of Conduct, then ask yourself ....

Does the nominee for the JOHN MOES MEMORIAL AWARD:

demonstrate professionalism and enthusiasm in assisting others on Crappie.com?

display humanitarian efforts and is instrumental in teaching our youth about fishing?

demonstrate a willingness to help others within the differing forums on Crappie.com

demonstrate a commitment to be of service to others within the Crappie.com
    community?

willingly accept and carry out responsibilities as asked by moderators/supermods of Crappie.com
    ?

believe in the values and mentoring heritage of John Moes, for which this award is named?

A FOCUS GROUP COMMITTEE will receive and review nominations for this award. This committee will be composed of all the Supermoderators, and other individuals, as appointed by Ed Moes. Any member may submit a nomination to any member of the focus group committee, beginning on the third Thursday in August.

These are the members of the focus group:

Super Moderator - Crappiepappy
    Prior Award Winner – Snake River
    Super Moderator - "G"
    Super Moderator - Skiptomylou
    Super Moderator - Pbug2009
    Super Moderator - Stumphunter
    Super Moderator - Barnacle Bill (Chairman)
    and Shipahoy41 (by the insistance of Ed Moes)

Please PM your nomination to any member of the above committee between August 18th & Sept 15th, 2011.

Any member may recommend any other active member, moderator, or deceased member for consideration . Members may not recommend, or nominate themselves.
    Nominations MUST include a narrative of no more than 300 words explaining why they believe that member is deserving of recognition. Nominations will not be accepted after Thursday September 15th. This focus group will then review the nominees submitted to them.

HOW THE RECIPIENT WILL BE CHOSEN:
    The focus group of super moderators and designees only has the power to review the nominations, & make recommendations. This is not a popularity contest. Politics will not be tolerated. The focus group may communicate by pm, email or on the special awards forum. Only they will have a special pass code to access that forum. The final selection(s) will be done by the Moes family members. The committe members are to forward the names of the finalists to the Ed Moes family by the third Thursday in October. (This year the names of the finalists are due to the Moes family on October 20, 2011)

The final selection is the sole responsibility of the Moes family. The award winners will be announced on the third Thursday of November. (This year award winners will be announced on November 17, 2011)

There are no restrictions on the number of times a member can be nominated to receive this award. However, a member cannot be selected as a recipient of the JOHN MOES MEMORIAL AWARD more than once every five years.

RECOGNITION :

The Crappie.com
    Person of the Year will each receive a commemorative wall plaque in recognition of their selection, as well as varied prizes from members & Sponsors of Crappie.com. Our first award winner, Bob Hinkle (Snake River), has already agreed to donate prizes, and I am hopeful that other members & sponsors such as Berkley, B-n-M Poles, etc. will also elect to donate. Selection and distribution of prizes is the sole responsibility of the Administrators of Crappie.com, and the decision of the owner is final
    Last edited by Slab; 08-19-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Nominations MUST include a narrative of no more than 300 words explaining why they believe that member is deserving.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

John Moes, Born 1927, Died 2011.

A little inspiration goes a long way.

My father bought me my first Zebco 202 when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. I still have that Zebco 202 in my basement. He took us perch fishing off the Montrose Harbor Pier on Lake Michigan in Chicago when we were so young I can barely remember. One thing I do clearly remember from one of those trips is dropping my line straight down in the water, off the side of that concrete pier, and pulling up two Jumbo Perch at one time. I'll never forget that first "double".

He wasn't real big on fishing himself, but he loved to take my brother and I fishing when ever he had the opportunity. My father, taught us the basics of fishing and ingrained into us a healthy respect for Mother Nature. We did not litter, and only kept the fish we intended to eat.

I still remember the many times my father took us to the banks of the Kalamazoo River in Michigan, along with my two uncles, and we fished for Bluegill and Catfish into the night. He may not have realized it then, but he influenced what I did with the rest of my life. I may have been born in the city, but these little trips to the waters edge made me a country boy at heart.

Whenever we went to visit relatives across the country, he made time to take us fishing. Maybe this was his "get away" time (get away from the relatives) or maybe it was his special time to spend with us kids, but we had fun together. We fished many different areas in Canada, Lousiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois. When I travel now, I think of him often and how I was introduced to new fishing styles and techniques all over the country.

There's just something about fishing that's bigger than all of us. Think about the friends you've made on this website. Think about the memories you've made with your father, uncle or grandfather. Think about the memories you have created for others, those young or old, that you've taught fishing, or have just gone fishing with. There's just no way to explain it, but that time on the water is special indeed.

Please realize, this award is not specifically about my father, its about the person in your life that influenced and helped you appreciate fishing. It's about your memories of good times you have had with your fishing partners. It's about learning to fish, and learning to respect nature, and the people that contributed most to that process. But most of all, it's about making future memories.

A special thanks goes out to Shipahoy41, Rev. Michael Carter who has inspired this whole process here on Crappie.com. Here is a thread he started back in 2007 that portrays our members views about their mentors and hero's that have influenced them.

WHO MENTORED YOU? PLEASE RESPOND. Thank you.

Please take the time to pass the torch, pay it forward, and “Teach a child to fish”.

At my Aunts house on Kentucky Lake. This may have been the last time he had a fishing rod in his hand.

My father with my brother in Lake Michigan. This is right near where we later Perch Fished. At the time of the photo I was not born yet!

My father with a big fish when we visited relatives down in Louisiana. That is actually the same Aunt from the first KY photo above.
    Owner
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie.com Code of Conduct
    (created and developed by the members of Crappie.com)

Treat others as you would like to be treated. Common sense and courtesy MUST prevail above all else. Follow all local, state and federal laws.

1 - Environmental
    If you see it pick it up even if it's not yours. Carry a litter bag with you. ALWAYS leave it cleaner than when you found it. Respect of the outdoors and the environment on every trip out.

2 - Fishing
    ALWAYS have a fishing license.
    ALWAYS observe slot limits as well as fish limits.
    Do not throw across another person's line. Do not crowd someone already fishing, be courteous and avoid interfering with their fishing. “I know that if a boat is stationary fishing and I am trolling off that bank then I will stop before I reach them and turn around or will just go around them.”

3 - Boating
    ALWAYS have children wear life jackets.
    ALWAYS wear your life vest when running or in inclement weather.
    ALWAYS have the kill switch in.
    ALWAYS help those in distress or in need of assistance.
    ALWAYS have a whistle or something that will get attention in emergency.
    ALWAYS check to ensure your boat lights work, including your trailer lights.
    ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher on your motorized boat.

Make sure you're ready to launch BEFORE you pull up to the ramp and when you come back, pull away from ramp to finish unloading and tying down. ALWAYS offer to help at the ramp; don't forget, we all had to learn to load/unload our boats, easier for some, not so for others.

Respect the shoreline, if you are going out in a no wake zone and there are homes on that bank then we shouldn't push big wakes to eat their bank away.

Respect shore fishermen, keep clear of their lines. Respect pleasure boaters and Jet Skiers, they have as much right to be on the water as you, they are having fun just like you are. Leave a Flight Plan, especially if you go out fishing alone. Tell a friend where you are going, and for how long. Take a boater safety class.

4 - Be Nice, Be Courteous, be a Crappie.com Fisherman
    Keep your language appropriate for children. Teach others about fishing. Share what you know. Take a child fishing. “Teach them what you know at their level of understanding.” “When fishing with young children be prepared to come off the water when they begin to show signs of boredom and restlessness.” “If you take a kid fishing, find joy in making it their day. Also remember, your joy is contagious and breeds their enthusiasm for the sport.”
    Owner
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Owner