Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Humminbird Side Imaging for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird Side Imaging for Crappie?

Ronnie,

Thanks for joining us today. I am a huge fan of Side Imaging and know a great deal about my HB 1198. Do you use side imaging for crappie? If so, how do you use it as a tool to help you catch more fish? What do you look for? Do you scan in the morning, night or evening? I have noticed a huge difference in morning scanning and evening scanning... How do you use the SI to your advantage and what should we be looking for. Thanks for the help!

DoubleG

Post Thanks / Like

By the way... I fish the Ross Barnett reservoir exclusively since I live about 1/4 mile from it in case that helps the thought process on how to use the SI to target crappie...

Ronnie Capps is offline Seven Time National Crappie Champion * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Man what a tool !!! If you are wanting to learn how to use the unit. Doing it on a very cloudy day and at night will make the screen and detail much more visible. Yes !! It has become a very important part of my arsenal for finding and catching crappie.

Ronnie Capps is offline Seven Time National Crappie Champion * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Open lake select structure finding is the standard for pinpointing crappie in most lakes. Once a comfort depth range has been determined depending on the time of year you can play the elimination game. You have the ability to move around a lake with super efficiency with the 1198. Location location location !! Now we can see !!

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip.. thanks... Focus on the water depth range that usually hold crappie that time of year... Got it...

I have noticed that early in the morning you usually don't see crappie holding on structure... about mid morning they show up and mid evening they are usually real thick on structure.. I have never scanned at night. Have you noticed the same patterns? When would you think the best time to scan is?

DoubleG

Post Thanks / Like

For locating structure, especially minute structure, night time is the Only time. I have won doing just this......... It was an area that had huge fish but nearly no structure to be found during the day There were only a couple stumps and a remnant of two old sunken cedars. In this same general area I was able to locate 7 or 8 other remnant stumps(very small) and a couple small tree branches and two concrete house blocks before daylight the next morning. These were the spots that won the tourney for me.

Thanks,
    Ronnie