Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickle Hooks: Pro & Cons?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle Hooks: Pro & Cons?

I keep hearing a lot about sickle hooks. What are the pros and cons of using then over an Aberdeen hook? I'm tying my own jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Either you likem or you dont. I likem because they have wider gap than aberdeen.. AND THEY ARE WAY SHARPER.... This is my opinion. I pour thousands of each type every year.

Post Thanks / Like

I pour several hundred each month and use nothing but Sickle hooks , by far the sharpest I have found and my customers love them.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't hardly use anything but sickle hooks. I get a lot of my jigheads from satdoc1 and they are good ones.....they all have a large size sickle hook and I find that I do not lose as many fish when using these. I also like and use StumpHunters Crappie Jigs and they have sickle hooks on them and are fantastic.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have alot of guys wanting the size 1 and 2 sickles. Usually red in color..

Post Thanks / Like

I love them. It's all I use for both bass and crappie. I seam to have a better hook up ratio with them.
    2008 Triton VT-17
    Humminbird Electronic's
    B'n'M Poles / Shimano Reels
    Lake Fork Baits

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the barb is smaller than aberdeen and I lose more fish trolling with them hooks. For straight up jigging may be different but I mainly troll. they cost the same as a aberdeen hook. They are way sharper than aberdeen though.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No cons here. I like them because they are super Sharp and I do not lose as many fish as before.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only con I can think of, after many months of using and pouring them, Is the gap size. The wider gap sometimes causes more lost jigs in the heaviest of cover. I go from a #4 to a #6 and the problem goes away without loss of hookup ratio. I just don't get hung as much. I use 1/16 with #4 alot, and 1/16 #6 in heavy cover. It's not really a con but it's the only bad thing that I could think of. Much better overall than the regular bend aberdeen.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I took a recommendation I found on here and went with a number 1 hook on my 1/32 jig. It is a sickle hook and since then I don't miss very many Crappie. They stick and they stick good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast