Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ground wasp 5 me 1

Post Thanks / Like

Default ground wasp 5 me 1

The saga continues, the nest in the log is toast, all dead. I thought the coast was clear to mow the backyard. I am tooling along and have 1/3 cut with riding mower, and I feel something on my legs by the time I glance down and see a swarm of bees around me it is to late they are stinging my arms. No time to turn off the mower (I disabled the seat kill switch) I jump roll race around the yard, then back to mower to turn off the switch prior to it hitting house. I make a mad dash to the house an enter the kitchen, my wife looks at me and starts beating me with a broom, I was covered in bees, she opens the window and says toss your shirt out the window. They were even stuck to my shoes by there stinger.

Ok I look like the Pillsbury doughboy, I looked all over after dark for the nest. No luck. 2 benedryl and a zertck and my arms look like they may pop. I will now put out a bowel of sugar water and a slice of meat and watch the bees, they are said to fly directly back to the nest after feeding. These stings hurt, I mean they are throbbing with pain and I have tried every remedy mentioned.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You may have already seen this. Its from the WEB MD

When to Seek Medical Care

Although most stings can be treated at home, some will require more medical care.

• Call your doctor or go to a hospital’s emergency department if a large localized reaction (greater than about 10 inches in diameter) occurs, evidence of infection (increasing pain, swelling, redness, drainage of pus or fever) is present at the sting site, or any symptoms last for more than a day or 2.
    • If it has been more than 10 years since your last tetanus booster, contact your doctor about getting a tetanus immunization.
    Although most stings do not require medical care, remember some stings can be serious or even fatal. If you have the slightest suspicion that someone is having a generalized or allergic reaction, seek emergency medical care immediately. In many areas dialing 911 for an ambulance may be your best option. (Try to avoid driving yourself to the hospital if you believe you are suffering from an allergic reaction—you may lose consciousness and have an accident.)
    Go to a hospital’s emergency department immediately if someone is showing evidence of an allergic reaction. Remember, an allergic reaction may occur in people with no prior history of allergic reactions. Any of the following may indicate an allergic reaction:
    • Difficulty breathing
    • Difficulty speaking
    • Swelling in the mouth or throat
    • Rash all over the body
    • Faintness or decreased level of consciousness
    • If more than 10-20 stings have occurred, especially with wasp stings or in children, elderly people, or people with underlying medical problems
    • If the sting involves the inside of the mouth or throat, especially if in children and/or involves more than 1 sting
    • If the sting involves the eyeball itself
    • If a person has been stung by an insect species that has previously caused an allergic reaction in the person—even if there is no evidence of a current allergic reaction (The safe thing to do is to head for an emergency department in case the person suddenly develops an allergic reaction.)
    • If a large localized reaction (redness greater than about 10 inches across) or evidence of infection (increasing pain, swelling, redness, drainage of pus or fever) is present at the sting site or sites and you cannot contact your personal doctor promptly
    Further Reading:

< Previous Page

1|2|3|4|5|6Next
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If youre stung that much you may need to see a doctor before a bad situation gets worse. Give 'em time to settle down and go outside and slowly look around where you cut the grass or right beside it. There's a nest in the ground CLOSE and you should be able to find it. Once you do, gas it right at dark and problem gone.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I watch myself closely as to when to go to ER, If I have any trouble swallowing or breathing I am off. All swelling is localized to area around sting.

Well the cantaloupe/fig in a pan worked they swarmed it and went straight back to the nest which was in the middle of the yard under no cover at all, the opening was 3". 1/2 gallon of gasoline and then a bucket over the nest last night. So my hopes are its a done deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe You got them but if You didn't and You want to have a little fun, take the mower back out there and park it over the hole running wide open with the mower engaged and let it eat for a while. I did that with a batch of bee bush hogging one time. They are not so tough anymore when a couple hundred get cut down to just a couple. Get a little revenge too.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I would do the lawnmower thing but I must say I am to slow on the get away and I am sure they will get me again. I have never had bee stings hurt so much, they still feel like someone hit me with a bat real hard. Maybe the broom hits were harder than I remember.

I am taking no chances tonight they get a quart of bleach, someone said that worked better than gas. There are more nest around as they are still swarming the bait I put out and they are in my fig trees and heading off into the woods.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang , I wouldn't mow it agin till the first hard freeze.!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if You have tried it or not but get You some chewing tobacco like Levi Garrett or Red Man Gold Blend. The dip does not work as good. Chew a little bit (a Good pinch and don't swallow the juice!) and take the wad out and put it on the bites. Best thing I have ever used to take the pain out. I swear to bajeesus it works. Pain will still be there some but it instantly takes that sharp pain out that makes wherever you got stung feel like it is 100 times larger than it really is. Makes it where You can manage it and keep yourself useful. Trust me, as many run ins as I have had with sassy yellow jackets, pizzed off ground bees, demon spawned ball faced hornets, The highly respected European Hornets, Honey bees, and the granddaddy of them all, The Cicada Killers, Chewing Tobacco works just as good as anything. Sounds like You need a pouch around with that gang You have.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Talking about baits, If You have found something that works really well like You said, cantaloupe or figs, buy You some seven dust. get some of those plastic surgeons gloves. now take Your fruit or whatever You have found that works ( it is the sugar in the fruit they are after) and chop up to a mash. mix in a fair amount of seven with the gloves on and take it out on the plate and put it where You have been baiting them already. They will take the poisoned fruit back to the nest and the queen will eat it and die. They also clean each other and many will die from that process. the rest will leave. If You live in an area where Your County sprays for mosquitoes, and can find out who the truck driver is, buy him a six pack and ask him to hit Your yard on the next outing. I am good friends with our county Mosquito killer and he will do that for me upon request. I tell him to back up to the woods and turn the trees white. That pyrethroid they spray will kill the jackets too.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Try this I swear it works tape a penny over the sting pain gone and no itch within 10 min. Done the tobacky one for years this is far better.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast