Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: help-power trim is out

skibo Guest

Default help-power trim is out

first i am knew to crappie.com and mainly just like to read all the info. but, i need some info on a power trim for a 2000 40 hp mercury. i know it is mercury and don't hold that against me. my power trim just all of a sudden went out. all i here is a "clicking sound" when i try to lower or raise the motor. I talked to some marinas and they though i was either a solenoid, relay or the motor itself. i just don't want to get ripped off and the price of labor is outrageous. if anyone has had this happen or knows any info it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like they gave you some good advise. Take it to more than one shop and get estimates from both. See if they say the same thing.

All I know about this subject is what I have read others saying about it on here. From what I read it could be one or both of the solenoids. I read that the solenoid that raises the motor goes out first as it does more work over time than the other one. Your description makes it sound like the motor won't move up or down. So it may be a switch that is common to both solenoids or it could be a motor problem.

Hope you find someone that does a good job and does not rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by skibo
    first i am knew to crappie.com and mainly just like to read all the info. but, i need some info on a power trim for a 2000 40 hp mercury. i know it is mercury and don't hold that against me. my power trim just all of a sudden went out. all i here is a "clicking sound" when i try to lower or raise the motor. I talked to some marinas and they though i was either a solenoid, relay or the motor itself. i just don't want to get ripped off and the price of labor is outrageous. if anyone has had this happen or knows any info it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

More than likely its a relay on the motor.Pretty cheap fix, about 20.00 a piece and Id change them both while youre at it.Theyre two balck square plastic relays one for up one for down under the cowling.As far as it being a Mercury, at least it shows youve got some common sense.LOL