Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Ramp Courtesy for 1 man with Truck/Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Ramp Courtesy for 1 man with Truck/Trailer

I usually fish by myself. However, I can't help but feel kinda bad when I load/unload my boat. I have to get the trailer in the water, start the engine, beach the boat, walk back to the truck, and park the truck. I usually hold up the line if there is one. Hey, i'm by myself, so what can you do? Why are people so impatient?

Just remember guys it's tough being by yourself loading, unloading a boat!
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

Waylon, you're in the same boat as me. There's not much you can do differently. A guy can hurt himself if he gets in too much of a hurry. I launch and load as fast as I can and still be safe. And I really don't think most others have a problem with me, cause they know I'm alone and trying to hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

just do your best,and don't fret the rest
    i also do alot of fishing alone,and try to be considerate of others when launching/loading.i don't/can't move too fast these days,but lucky for me,my boat is easy to handle.i get held up by others more than i hold anyone up.i can get in and out quicker than some of the 2 man teams i see.i just let it slide off,tie it off out of the way,and drive out in a couple minutes.drive on,climb out and drive away just as quick.i just make sure everything's rigged and ready beforehand,which is what alot of folks don't do.the ramp is no place to load/unload boat,truck,gear,tie boat down and/or a friendly bs session:rolleyes:
    those are the ones who get on your nerves
    i've yet to have a problem with anyone due to me holding things up at the ramp,and there are times when others even offer help,as i do to other lone boaters

Post Thanks / Like

Default In same boat here too

Hey guys I am in the same situation most of the time. A lot of peole fish by themselves for various reasons.

There are ways to speed up the launching of a boat by yourself that are safe and effective.

If you take a long 100ft rope and attach it to your trailer or truck and the other end to your boat you can back the trailer into the water and have the boat float off and out into the lake. Simply park the truck on the ramp and get out and pull the boat to the shore. Park the boat out of the way or on the side of the ramp and go park the truck in the parking lot. If there is a courtesy dock you could get in the boat and go dock it and then go get your truck off the ramp.

Using a long rope to lauch the boat is safe and easy Unless your boat won't come off the trailer easily without using the boat motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylonh
    I usually fish by myself. However, I can't help but feel kinda bad when I load/unload my boat. I have to get the trailer in the water, start the engine, beach the boat, walk back to the truck, and park the truck. I usually hold up the line if there is one. Hey, i'm by myself, so what can you do? Why are people so impatient?

Just remember guys it's tough being by yourself loading, unloading a boat!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

If folks are really getting on you about it just put on a pink speedo and a gorrila mask next time you launch. I guaruntee no one will say a word to ya. Otherwise dont worry about it.
    I would also reccomend that if the launch is busy just ask somone to hold your rope for ya when your unloading or ask em to pull you out when done. Most folks out there realize whats up and are glad to help. Those that dont will help to just to get you out of the way. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get upset with the unloading part. It's the prep before unloading. If a man waits til it's his turn in line to remove his straps and transom saver..yada..yada then i get upset. Never once have I been impatient with a person backing their boat in the water if they were prepared to do so when the time came.

Post Thanks / Like

I am the same way. Heck I'll offer to help them if they are having trouble.

I can launch my boat by myself pretty quickly as I have been doing it for 26 years now.

I am lucky as I have a pickup truck and I can jump into the truck's bed and then into my boat easily. When I get a bit older and can't do that anymore I may have to launch another way.

It's a good thing that most retired folks (older folks) can fish in the middle of the week. LOL I enjoy fishing during the middle of the week when I have the lake to my self practically.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones
    I don't get upset with the unloading part. It's the prep before unloading. If a man waits til it's his turn in line to remove his straps and transom saver..yada..yada then i get upset. Never once have I been impatient with a person backing their boat in the water if they were prepared to do so when the time came.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

i agree it is the prep that people do while sitting on the ramp, people need to do that before and after. It also p***s me off when there is a 2 boat ramp being taken up by one yahoo!!!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-30-2006 at 09:17 PM.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the solo thing too most of the time. I've always got everything ready to go when I back down that ramp. Like others have described, I just jump out and pull the boat to the shore/side and tie it off, then park the trailer.
    The only time I've screwed up is once tied off too loose. The back of the boat swung under the dock between the ramps and took up the ramp next to me. The guy there was able to launch but had to push my boat back so it wouldn't bump his. I apologised and he was very gracious and didn't voice any complaint at all.

Launching or trailering isn't a problem to me.. but getting that ole Seahorse to start takes a little time. I have to choke and choke and choke...usually a five minute ordeal. Once it starts it runs like a scalded dog. Thank goodness and my friends at crappie.com, I have a trolling motor to get me away from the ramps and out of everyone's way while I fight the horse.

It's in the shop now, getting a much needed servicing. Maybe it won't be so hard after I get it back.
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I fish alone a lot so I am in the same situations as many of you. I think I do it pretty fast. I have done it faster that two men before, but I try to get in and out quick and mainly because I am eager to get to the hole. Having said that, I cannot stand the guys that pull to the top of the ramp to put everything away and secure their boats. They need to get the H*ll out of the way and pull to the end of the lot so other boats can pull out.
    LET IT RIP!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast