Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So now I see there are TWO types of crappie - being a newby is humbling...

Post Thanks / Like

Default So now I see there are TWO types of crappie - being a newby is humbling...

So I read all this stuff about cranks - pushing them, pulling them, longlining jigs and minnows. I plan my weekend for pulling some cranks and NOW, only NOW I see that cranks are most effective on white crappie(?!?!?) Guess I've been catching black crappie all this time, and now I know there are two types of crappie. That's what I get for being a bass only guy for the first 37 years of my life.
    Doh
    Soooo, for a lake that doesn't have any white crappie (I've never seen anything but black crappie in pictures from up here in SE WI), what is the best way to target black crappie? I read the Kentucky lake radio tagging report that they relate to flats and structure in summertime. Should I give up on cranks? Cast some jigs/spinners in the weeds? Troll tight to the breakllines/weedlines? I feel like a kid who just had his block tower knocked over and has to start from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually 3 types of crappie Black, White and Hybred. All will hit cranks.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by satdoc1 View Post
    Actually 3 types of crappie Black, White and Hybred.
    Doh Doh Doh You guys are killing me!

Post Thanks / Like

Just get to pullin them cranks and you will wind up catching some of them all!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

if you get tired of cranks, they love meal worms also and regular worms...but your best bet on using live bait is to have a set up of a slip bobber, you can set up you line so that your fishing 7-8 feet deep but having your float and sinker and hook hanging from the tip of your line about 2 foot so you can have a good cast out...

Post Thanks / Like

I catch black crappie on cranks all the time.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If youre not having luck with the cranks there's always longlining jigs but if that doesnt work in this hot weather try pushing jigs/minnows or drift fishing with your baits at different depths.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you fishing a lake in SE Wisconsin? Are we talking a natural lake, reservoir, pond? I'd go with the 12-22 ft. rule outside the weedlines and offshore humps in a natural lake. Inside turns on a weedline are a good bet. Crappies will suspend off the bottom, and school off of the weedlines and humps in northern natural lakes. Don't give up on the cranks just yet. Use electronics to find the suspenders, and troll at that depth and slightly above them. Otherwise go with the jigs/jig spinners. Maybe you want to consider vertical jigging a spoon when you find a school of craps.
    It is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

To confuse you further...In Florida we have only Black Crappie which we call Speckled Perch or more commonly Specks. Then we have a sub species of black Crappie that were stocked by our Wildlife Commission called Black Nose Crappie which have a black strip from their nose right up their back. It seems to be more common in southern states as well.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrockman View Post
    Are you fishing a lake in SE Wisconsin? Are we talking a natural lake, reservoir, pond? I'd go with the 12-22 ft. rule outside the weedlines and offshore humps in a natural lake. Inside turns on a weedline are a good bet. Crappies will suspend off the bottom, and school off of the weedlines and humps in northern natural lakes. Don't give up on the cranks just yet. Use electronics to find the suspenders, and troll at that depth and slightly above them. Otherwise go with the jigs/jig spinners. Maybe you want to consider vertical jigging a spoon when you find a school of craps.
    Natural lake, not many humps that I know of yet. I have caught most of them in inside turns on weed edges (now that I think about where they bit- you nailed it). I've tried jigs, but think I can do a better job of it next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast