Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolled for the first time ever

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolled for the first time ever

Went out today and when things got real slow (about 2pm) I decided it was time to give trolling a shot. I rigged 2 rods with cranks bought just for this and started with some deeper water off where I've caught a few crappie, took all of 75 yards to catch my first fish, a bass they broke my rod I kept with two rods for a while, but it felt like work with all the bites I was, getting from small fish, so I went down to one rod, which is good practice for a newby like me. I managed two decent crappie while catching lots of gills and yellow perch, and small crappie. It was a blast, and I thank cdc for providing me with enough info to catch some fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm, I've threatened to give trolling a try. Reading your post might be just the thing I need to give it a try. What kind of cranks did you use and whats a good trolling speed?
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boat49 View Post
    Hmmmmm, I've threatened to give trolling a try. Reading your post might be just the thing I need to give it a try. What kind of cranks did you use and whats a good trolling speed?
    go to the mississippi forum and pull up the sticky "pulling cranks 101" Over 1100 posts and the best ever reading on this subject.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

1.5-2mph works good for me ,and i use bandit 200 and 300 series and wally marshall cranks
    Quote Originally Posted by boat49 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your trolling. Be warned however, it is addictive. With success comes expense!!
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this for the first time Friday evening. Didn't catch any crappie but did catch some bass, gills and one eleven inch redear. Don't know what the gills and redear thought they were gonna do with that bandit??? Depth and being close to the weedline seemed more important than lure color. I switched colors often as I just had to try all my newly purchased bandits. Will be going again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught 60 keepers today with my oldest son. It does get to be expensive if you're not careful. Best money you can spend is line counter reels. I have a picture of the 60 in the KY forum that will give you the fever. These fish were caught in about 4 hours. It can be fast and furious.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! 60! I used the small bandits that said 'crappie' crankbaits on them. They looked big to me, but the bass liked them. I also had a tiny little one I bought that was in the crappie lures section at Bass Pro. That's the one the crappie hit. I've gotta go check out these other forums and learn some more!

Post Thanks / Like

The 'crappie' Bandits are just 300 series with red hooks and some special colors. I actually push the bandits instead of longlining. This allows for better depth control and keeps the baits closer to the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I'm confused, push , pull, longline, What in God's name is this stuff and how to do it. I use Bandits all the time and never caught a crappie but lots of bass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast