Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lilly Pads???

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Lilly Pads???

Okay, i mainly fish slip bobbers around structure and will occasionally drift/ spider rig. A couple of the lake Ive fished lately have some lilly pads but i'm having trouble fishing them. Getting hung up ( im not fishin with all the rods, just one), making alot of racket with the trolling motor chewing them up etc.
    when fishing them, do i need to go into them as deep as I can, fish the edges, or what.......im frustrated. I want to be a better angler, not just one technique.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Tom

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

We used to fish an old swampy lake in south central Arkansas that had tons of pads. My uncle taught me to use a cane pole, worm or minnow, and a split shot at times we'd use a fixed bobber. I was young, but I remember him casting his zebco 33 riged the same way when there was a pocket we couldn't reach without "messing things up" he'd call it. I guess you could call it "dipping pads".

Post Thanks / Like

#1 I would use a weed guard #2 Fish the outside edge first. #3 I would definitely use meat ( minnows ) with or without jigs . #4 Use a float ( BOBBER) . #5 Use the big motor to get a running start to push you up into the pads. Cut the motor and coast. To get further back into the pads. . #6 If you use jigs change frequently until you find something they like. #7 When they quit change colors B4 you move. #9 Be stealthy. #10 If all the above fail start over again with a longer pole. #11 Pads are typically in shallow water. The fish will probably be spook. The longer the rod the better. Good luck let me know how you do. i am looking for an invite.

Post Thanks / Like

Slooowwwwly. Fish the edges first and work your way in. Best bet is to "dip" into holes in the pads rather than try to push through em. I personally feel that fishing pads is one of the nerve wrackinest techniques ever, but man does it pay off sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

Stay on the edges, crappie are looking to ambush their dinner. Most species of lilies don't grow in water deeper than 4'. The ends and points are usually the most productive, islands can be good also. One thing about lilies, when you hit them with the prop, sometimes you'll fray them and those long fibers will wrap around your prop shaft, so take your prop off and clean it. If they get fished a lot fishing line can be a problem too. IMHO which I have plenty of.

Kyle Schoenherr is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

A push pole can be a big help in pads. A lot less stress on your trolling motor!

www.AllSeasonsCrappieFishing.com - 2x National Champion
    B'n'M Pro Staff - Road Runner Pro Staff - Lowrance Pro Staff - Tru Turn Pro Staff
    Harvest Clean Pro Staff - Midsouth Pro Staff - Titelok Pro Staff - Engels Pro Staff
    CrappieNow - Rend Lake Resort - Kinkaid Sportsman Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

get rid of the bobber, 12 ft. jig pole, vertical jig, no hang ups that way, push pole is good, if you're gonna be fishing pads alot, get a little 30lb hand control trolling motor for the back of boat, put it in a fixed postition with a bigfoot switch, you can push yourself around without using the front trolling motor and spooking fish, just stomp it and push yourself forward
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

A push pole is quieter too.

Post Thanks / Like

But wind is even more quiet! set up and let the wind move you through the pads, when possible. Fish the outsides first and then move in letting the wind move you through the pads. Raise both motors up and the wind will move you through with little to no disturbance. Use a long pole or rod with a fixed bobber and just dip it in the holes after you move inside the pads. Don't let it sit to long before you move it to another hole in the pads. You will catch a lot of Bass also doing this. Good luck and let us know how you do. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrappie View Post
    get rid of the bobber, 12 ft. Jig pole, vertical jig, no hang ups that way, push pole is good, if you're gonna be fishing pads alot, get a little 30lb hand control trolling motor for the back of boat, put it in a fixed postition with a bigfoot switch, you can push yourself around without using the front trolling motor and spooking fish, just stomp it and push yourself forward
    x2
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast