Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single Pole Jigging Vs. Spider Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Single Pole Jigging Vs. Spider Rigging

Does anyone here prefer to single pole jig better than spider rigging. The fly fisherman in me would much prefer a single pole, and just study the map, using GPS and the graph to mark the brush piles, fish bridge piling and such.

Post Thanks / Like

more poles = more meat until more poles = aggravating :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do ! Hands Clapping

I'm first & foremost a jig slinger ... one rod, in hand, & both eyes on the line - looking for that little "tic" in the line, that tells me it's time to set the hook !!
    I prefer casting ... but am not opposed to using other (legal) methods/baits, when the situation calls for it. I'm just not equipped, nor is my boat, for much in the way of multiple rod use methods ... so I usually give priority to casting jigs. When that fails ... I'll go to Plan B (which is usually some form of tightlining, longlining, or slow trolling, with a max of 3rods).

... cp

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Verticle jiggin , occasionally drag jigs with a pole in each hand when Crappie suspend. I love to feel that ''THUMP!'' Years ago I trolled or spiderrigged minnows because that was the excepted practice. I've trolled lures long lining , but nothing does it quite like jiggin and feeling them bite. Besides I can catch a limit almost anytime jiggin my home lake. I spend less money on jigs than those trollers do on minnows or lures . I seldom lose a tube jig unless fishing heavy brush or a big fish takes it. Fishing pallet stakebeds seldom hang up bad enough to break off.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. The shear cost of running all these rods and minnows and jigs, man, it's more than I can afford. I have an old eight foot fiberglass fly rod, and dad left me about three jigging poles. Maybe jig with that old fly rod, and bring one jigging pole as back up or something.

I'd rather try vertical jigging at first, especially around some of these stumps. Maybe spend most of the next year just build and setting up crappie condos and such. I figure spend 90% of the time finding or building structure that will produce fish seems a better way to go for me than the decking out eight rods trolling water that will never produce anything.

I mean if you had like 25 spots, just run and check the spots, catch your limit in a few hours, ready for the grease!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the single rod camp. Love to vertical jig & pitch...

Post Thanks / Like

One rod for me.

Post Thanks / Like

One rod, one fish at a time
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

One for me and after 50 + years still love to feel the thump!!! Heck there are days I can't keep one outfit straight can't see me trying to keep a boat load from being tangled up, can only see bad things coming out of that for me. I got a lot of respect for the guys that do it.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Single pole for me and my spider rigging set up consists of a rod in both hands.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast