Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing logs???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing logs???

How many of you guys keep them. If you do what all do you record. I'm gonna start one this fall and need some ideas
    2008 Triton VT-17
    Humminbird Electronic's
    B'n'M Poles / Shimano Reels
    Lake Fork Baits

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I set up a spreadsheet on Excel with the following data:

Date, Time fished, Location, Water Conditions/Air conditions, # caught, remarks (in this column I record method fished, best baits, depth of water fished, depth best bite was, largest fish, etc.)

BTW, if youre gonna keep something on the computer be sure to back it up every so often. I lost a whole year's worth of data once.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    I set up a spreadsheet on Excel with the following data:

Date, Time fished, Location, Water Conditions/Air conditions, # caught, remarks (in this column I record method fished, best baits, depth of water fished, depth best bite was, largest fish, etc.)

BTW, if youre gonna keep something on the computer be sure to back it up every so often. I lost a whole year's worth of data once.
    That's the info I keep but I don't use the computer, I think I need to DohDoh

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbhutton View Post
    How many of you guys keep them. If you do what all do you record. I'm gonna start one this fall and need some ideas
    MB ... be sure & scroll down to the bottom of this page (while viewing the replies in this thread) .. and you'll find similar posts/replies to this question. It's a site component that works like the search feature, keying in on certain words in your title/post. (keyword being "logs")

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Gabow Think that you need to get that program out to us. A fishing log or journal is a must. Now with the advent of GPS you can mark the good spots as well as way points and add them in also. I have kept one for years and that has been in a binder with notebook lined paper written in pencil. Even have some hand drawn maps of points back as far back as 1978. I have a massive amount of information on the north glacer lakes of Iowa. Am thinking of sending them to a museum in Iowa so some guy will stumble across them sometime in the future and will have a treasure.

My advise would be to start a journal if you don't keep one. Add all information that you can remember. It may be that that information is just what you need to help you become a top flight fisherman. A step above the normal weekend warriors.

All the best

Redman

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with redman. A journal is a must to stay one step in front of the other people on the water. I guide on the famous currituck sound in currituck NC for ducks. I know the water like the back of my hand and can tell you pretty much where the birds are what they are going to do ect. I have been keeping a journal for 28 years now, that is how long I'v been guiding for ducks and I still look at my journal every night before the next days hunt.I also do the same thing for crappie fishing and my commercial fishing business that I do when duck season is out. Do yourself a favor and start one,it is amazing what kind of info you find when you go back and read what you have wrote over the years.My son is 25 and he loves to read through it from time to time and when I'm dead and gone I hope he will carry on the tradition.

Good luck and be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep mine in a notebook. I look at it every so often, the night before, just to compare conditions from yr to yr. and where I was or was not catching them. I didn't start keeping one until three or four yrs ago, but it helps already.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to consider making notes of where you hear other people did well when you didn't. It might give you an idea of where to start next time when you have the same conditions. I've caught a lot of fish when no one else was on the lake. Some of the nastier weather can sometimes be the most productive.

Keeping a log will also help you see how you are evolving as an angller. There's an old saying, "a faded pencil is better than the best memory". Another reason to write it down.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to write mine down, now I use WFN app, it's a fishing log app for iPhone droid etc, gps capable n all, very cool app worth the 2 bucks
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of the WFN app, but I've got a couple of questions. Do you have the option to write some random additional notes or is it just "fill in the blanks"? Can you download/export your log to your home computer or an online database that can be exported later? I'd hate to lose a years worth of data because something happened to my phone. I've got a history of sacrificing iPhones to the fishing gods....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast