Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate drums!!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I hate drums!!

Not the rock band kind, the big bottom feeder kind (of course that could also apply to politicians) of freshwater fish.

Ky Lake seems to have a huge population of the drums that just love to torment me when I'm trolling Bandits. I'm not talking about the little 8-12 inch kind. I'm talking about the long-as-your-leg kind that will nearly yank a rod out of the holder and feels like trying to reel in a stump at 1.7 mph. I have caught no less than a half dozen this size the last week and 2 Sunday afternoon. The first broke one of my new Capps and Coleman 16 foot trolling rods 1/2 way up the tip section when I was trying to net it to get the bait back from a 10 pounder. That really torched me!

The occasional catfish or green carp is one thing since those release to the grease but those dadgum drums have my number and I don't like it! Any ideas of how to avoid them?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't avoid them, release them to the grease too. They don't taste to bad. Just cut the red meat or lateral line out as with Bass. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Catfish are even worse, IMO, than drum. They tend to twist the line up and cross over all the lines making huge messes (plus still can break rods like the drum).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can avoid them. Consider this, though: most people will never catch a fish that size. Just set your drag light and enjoy the occasional "monster" you hook.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I love a good battle with a big Drum. Lots of fun on a slow day. Can boil the fillets in Crab and Shrimp boil. Dip in Cocktail sauce, coon arses call it '' Poor boy Shrimp''
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Drum suck, but gar are the devil!!! Spider rigging somewhat shallow in the summertime is a recipe for hanging one once in a while. Had one tangle 5 poles Saturday. Got him off, but not before creating the worlds biggest birds nest. Ended up cutting the line and retying all 5. That'll tick ya off.

Post Thanks / Like

Drum are a pain, my thinking is if I'm catching catfish and drum, I'm usually too deep for crappie. I usually catch most of my crappie pulling cranks suspended a little piece off the bottom. Dunno bout on KY lake, since I've only single poled there.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MO' MONEY View Post
    Drum are a pain, my thinking is if I'm catching catfish and drum, I'm usually too deep for crappie. I usually catch most of my crappie pulling cranks suspended a little piece off the bottom. Dunno bout on KY lake, since I've only single poled there.
    You are correct. I'm not targeting the shallow areas but many of our secondary channel ledges have bars and bends that will shallow up from the 15-25 feet I normally troll.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I love a good battle with a big Drum. Lots of fun on a slow day. Can boil the fillets in Crab and Shrimp boil. Dip in Cocktail sauce, coon arses call it '' Poor boy Shrimp''
    Gotta try this one. My next big drum is in bad trouble!
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    Yep, eat a many of em growing up in Louisiana, just cut the red meat off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast