Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parasites in the Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parasites in the Fish

One of my favorite lakes in NC is kinda close to the house and in a remote crappie I love to fish it but my comrades say that they want eat the fish so what is the use in fishing there. The reason they say this is b/c one day we caught some largemouth and were running low on meat so we layed them open with our knives to my surprise both fish had worms or maget like creatures living inside them. Coincedence? The next month we started filletin our catch of slabs and found the same. Needless to say they werent put in the fryer. Is it really as bad as i think it is or shere coincedence what would you do if you were in my position?

Post Thanks / Like

fry'em up. won't hurt you.

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabslinger View Post
    One of my favorite lakes in NC is kinda close to the house and in a remote crappie I love to fish it but my comrades say that they want eat the fish so what is the use in fishing there. The reason they say this is b/c one day we caught some largemouth and were running low on meat so we layed them open with our knives to my surprise both fish had worms or maget like creatures living inside them. Coincedence? The next month we started filletin our catch of slabs and found the same. Needless to say they werent put in the fryer. Is it really as bad as i think it is or shere coincedence what would you do if you were in my position?
    That would be my catch and release lake. No way i'm eating those parasites. Would you feed them to your wife and kids?

Post Thanks / Like

That little bug will dissipate in the hot grease. It is common . Dont know what it is and dont want to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Up north in minnesota we find them in the fish that are around the weeds. As soon as you get a cold spell in the fall it will kill the grubs and the fish will look ok. Like said in the previous post, the grubs will not hurt you to eat the fish. If you don't want to eat those fish, try fishing that lake in the late fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Which lake are you talking about??

Post Thanks / Like

I see them some in the bass I catch at the lakes I fish but have not seen them in the crappie yet. Their not in the meat of the fish so I would treat the symptoms with hot grease and enjoy the fruits of your labor Thumbs Up

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

We get those "little white worms" in our Sunfish, Perch, a lot of fish have them. I've seen them for 60 years. I take the point of my knife and just pop them out. I never have left them in the fish, but have always ate fish that had them.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We find worms in fish during hot weather. Appears in Bass more often. I've seen red thread like worms a few times. The small white grubs I've seen are about the size of a grain of rice. If there are just a few pop them out or fish there during cold weather.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

just remove and release to grease, they dont hurt a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast