Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do.......

when you hit a lake for the 1st time (unfamiliar with it)? I'm talking simpler methods (not topo maps/graphs, but don't let that stop you from sharing info regarding those methods as well) with simply a FF, gear, bait, and a desire to catch a mess for dinner? How long will you set in one spot (without making any catches outside of a straggler or 2)? I'm talking from a boat, but if you want to add bank fishing info as well, please do (since I do both). Any input appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Research the lake first either online using Google or cdc forums. Finding a ramp location is important because turning around with a boat in the back is a pain at times. Once you get to the lake, drive around a bit just scout around with FF. Fish the go to spots like drop offs, docks, etc. Mine is visible standing timber or fallen trees in 10 ft or greater depth of water. Don't set in one spot for more than 30 min if fish aren't biting. For the landlubber, fish off of bridges that cover major creek arms if traffic and laws allow.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

I look in different depths depending on the time of the year and mainly water temp. Love to find wood, especially close to a drop off or deeper water.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I look for structure and feeder creeks.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Creek channels near flats near structure... Don't spend too long(over 20-30mins) on a spot not producing. Big key can be look for where other boats are and get in general area, but not crowd in on em

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good suggestions plus just asking at a local bait shop can give you good ideas.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

With no information I'd fish the points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speck View Post
    Good suggestions plus just asking at a local bait shop can give you good ideas.
    We (family) were joking a couple weeks ago while camping (and not catching fish of any size) about the bait shop owners always claiming "they're biting" Thanks for all the replies so far!

Post Thanks / Like

I look for familiar setups as I normally fish and look for bait mostly.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to find brush on drops, usually there will be some brush or stakes put out on top as well. I agree about moving after about 30 minutes but must admit, that is one of my worst faults. I have found myself sitting over a good brushpile where I have caught good fish in the past for well over a hour. I may pick up a fish or two but realize when I finally leave, it would have been much more productive to have moved to other areas.

Lately, I have been concentrating on finding new spots so I don't hammer the same ones trip after trip. I think it is easier to move if you think you have another good spot to go too. By this, I mean you need to locate several good potential areas and keep moving. Some of the best crappie fishermen I talk too will tell you they visit several spots a day and usually find a fish here or there that will bite quickly and sometimes they'll find them ganged up on one treetop or two and really "whack" them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast