Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do?

I am in a pickle here and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions. Out here in the area of California I am in finding minnows is like trying to fine a glass of ice water down in well you get the point. I know for a fact if I could get hold of some I would knock the crappie dead. Thought about going to a pet store and getting some guppies or whatever. But at the same time I don't want to introduce something that isn't normally found in water system here. What should I do? Should I just stick to using wax worms and jigs or what? Any help would be appreciated.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you get a minnow trap and bait it with a piece of bread and set it for and hour or so in a local creek or lake. This usually works for me and your using local forage that the crappie are used to.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cast Net?

Check your local laws. In louisiana you can use a cast net to catch baitfish. Works great for us. 2 or 3 casts and we usually have enough minnows for a few hours of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the creeks are so small that they don't hold anything, and in this lovely (not) state you cannot use a cast net.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I would try the minnow trap with 1/2 a slice of bread in it. Set minnow trap fish with jigs for about an hour -- check trap and start fishing with minnows. Are there no bait shops out there in cali? Not trying to be a smart *$$, I have never been there and don't know. Good luck
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are bait shops here but the don't carry minnows. Usually just nightcrawlers, meal worms, and crawfish.

Dave

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiencali
    I am in a pickle here and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions. Out here in the area of California I am in finding minnows is like trying to fine a glass of ice water down in well you get the point. I know for a fact if I could get hold of some I would knock the crappie dead. Thought about going to a pet store and getting some guppies or whatever. But at the same time I don't want to introduce something that isn't normally found in water system here. What should I do? Should I just stick to using wax worms and jigs or what? Any help would be appreciated.
    Better check the California regulations close. Some areas real specific on using live bait.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    Where in CAli are you located. The regs can change from lake to lake in Cali. One of the lake I fish Is Lopez, and the valley folks bring there own bait (minnows) with them. I don't know if it legal, will have to research it.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

i fish with whatever it takes to catch'em(legally). ain't never been to cali. is the water super clear? if not you can catch them on jigs! if it is super clear you can catch'em on really small jigs. but we still have them "should'a brought minnows" days everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

The baitshop in Petaluma carries minnows. Several shops around Clearlake carry minnows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast