Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpet for boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carpet for boats

I know there have been several threads, and I have read through lots of them. But what I couldnt find was the specifics to ask about, like marine glue, or spread liquid nails or such, type of carpet......

Many thanks for input

Tom

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Get Henry indoor/outdoor carpet glue at Lowes. 10 year guarantee.

http://www.wwhenry.com/content.aspx?...&ProductID=110

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked at Correct Craft building Ski Nautiques we used a commercial grade contact cement that was very similar to Weldwood contact cement. We didn't use it in the typical fashion of coating both sides and letting them become tacky, but layed it on heavy and made sure it was plenty wet when the carpet was pushed into it.They stay wet about as much as any boat and we few issues, and a much longer work time. A clean dry surface is necessary for whatever adhesive you choose.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced the carpet in my 20 ft Skeeter. I used Basscat carpet and ordered 30 feet and should have ordered 35 (Had to piece some together). Used Henry carpet glue and a couple cans of 3M spray cement for tight spots/trim. I marked all lids with arrows pointing toward the front of the boat. When you get your carpet mark the back of it too (every foot lengthways and side to side),it helps a lot to keep the grain right.

Get a lot of razor blades. Keep all screws and hardware organized and labeled when you remove them. Angle grinder worked great to remove old glue on the aluminum lids but was a little too aggressive on the boat. A Drill with wire wheel worked on boat decks. I was able to leave all of the carpet trim intact and tuck the carpet under it.

The weather turned crazy hot as soon as I started and I was soon wishing I had waited until the Fall to do this. I'm glad it's done now.

Post Thanks / Like

RayP-Where did you order the basscat carpet from?
    Thanks guys for the information.
    Tom

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
    Get Henry indoor/outdoor carpet glue at Lowes. 10 year guarantee.

W.W. Henry Flooring Adhesives - Adhesives
    Ditto. I customized a 16' jon boat 3 years ago including carpeting all the floors and decks built in to the boat. Used Henry's glue from Lowe's, and also got my dark gray marine grade carpeting from there. Everything has held up well so far.

-T9

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team9nine View Post
    Ditto. I customized a 16' jon boat 3 years ago including carpeting all the floors and decks built in to the boat. Used Henry's glue from Lowe's, and also got my dark gray marine grade carpeting from there. Everything has held up well so far.-T9
    Used the exact same stuff on mine and has held up well.

Post Thanks / Like

How do u keep ends from fraying? When there is nothing to "tuck" it under (like aluminum war eagle boat) how do u keep the ends looking nice and not pulling out/apart

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Weldwood Gel.Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I just re did my Sylvan 14 deep V I used the Henery,s from Lowes seems to really stuck down well. I tucked all the lids under and stapled them just enough for the glue to set up.

Name:  MY pics 020.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  56.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast