Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good or bad for the sport of crappie fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good or bad for the sport of crappie fishing?

In the "how old are you" thread:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...w-old-you.html

... about 75% of the voters are over 40, and more than 50% are over 50. I don't know how that compares to the ages of bass fishermen, but those those numbers seem a little high.

Is that good or bad? Does that mean younger guys are not coming into the sport? Or is crappie fishing an acquired taste? Do people get tired of run-and-gun bass fishing and then move into crappie fishing for a change of pace?

Anybody have any thoughts?

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s more of a reflection about the people on this site and not people who fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now there is 618 guests online. So those numbers are members who voted. Kinda hard to really say.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Bein one of the minority ages (22) I bass fished at the collegiate level on the under armour championship. I have lots of buddies that fish, both bass and crappie. I love to catch bass still, but would rather have some crappie filets in the freezer. I think you're spot on with your comment about as you get older ya get out of the run and gun excitement of bass fishing. It's still a challenge to catch crappie, but its seems less stressful. Not easier by any means. Plus there's so many different methods to fish crappie, not chunkin a rod for hrs. I think guys come around as they get older... They finally come to their senses!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MO' MONEY View Post
    Bein one of the minority ages (22) I bass fished at the collegiate level on the under armour championship. I have lots of buddies that fish, both bass and crappie. I love to catch bass still, but would rather have some crappie filets in the freezer. I think you're spot on with your comment about as you get older ya get out of the run and gun excitement of bass fishing. It's still a challenge to catch crappie, but its seems less stressful. Not easier by any means. Plus there's so many different methods to fish crappie, not chunkin a rod for hrs. I think guys come around as they get older... They finally come to their senses!
    i agree 100% been bass fishing many years, still like to fish for them, the dont enjoy the running and gunning anymore.....older and tooooooooo hot!!!!!!! lol i am in the 60+ crowd.....

Post Thanks / Like

And from the other poll, they don't want the sport to grow, either.

I do think it's more of an aquired taste, so to speak. Keep in mind, a person can go just about anywhere in the US and catch a LMB. Crappie aren't in every body of water, especially ponds, where most of us had our first experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot has to due with the fact that it's less stressful and easier on an older persons body. I Tournament bass fished in the last 70's early 80's but now I have all the "Itis's" Arthur and others, 2 knee surgeries, shoulder surgery and I'm not able to sling bass baits for hours but I still love to fish and enjoy the crap out of Crappie fishing.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I did not vote, I am over 60 I never fished for bass much, I always fished for cats and crappie and pearch....

as for the sport growing, I try to help others. I do not fish tournaments, and I think they get to competive I am lazy

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I got tired and a little bored with chasing walleyes plus the fact a friend introduced me to slabs I didn't know existed in Ohio a couple fo years ago. It's been full bore crappie chasin since and I'm enjoying it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnonEye View Post
    Personally I got tired and a little bored with chasing walleyes plus the fact a friend introduced me to slabs I didn't know existed in Ohio a couple fo years ago. It's been full bore crappie chasin since and I'm enjoying it!
    I fished Walleyes for 25 yrs. did some tournament fishing, spent hours on the water. I'll be 66 soon, I still fish just about as much, but really got the fever for Crappie fishing just before spring. Still not doing too good at it, but it's a welcome change from the Saginaw Bay Walleye Zoo.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast