Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tires Vs Auto Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Tires Vs Auto Tires

Many trailer tires are rated for 65MPH; you need to inflate them more if you intend to go faster. However, trailer tires are built for campers, etc, not just boat and similar trailers. Anyone know any reason why a regular automotive radial tire shouldn't be used on a boat trailer? Seems to me they're rated for higher speeds, and Lord knows the prices on some of these trailer tires are just as high or higher than a regular tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    Many trailer tires are rated for 65MPH; you need to inflate them more if you intend to go faster. However, trailer tires are built for campers, etc, not just boat and similar trailers. Anyone know any reason why a regular automotive radial tire shouldn't be used on a boat trailer? Seems to me they're rated for higher speeds, and Lord knows the prices on some of these trailer tires are just as high or higher than a regular tire.

Remember, campers use much large tires than boat trailers.

It's not so much trailer tire versus car tire. It's all about load rating. The real key is that most boat trailers use 14" tires, and most 14" tires have a fairly low load rating. A typical 14" car tire is rated at 1500 to 1600 pounds, so two of those can hold 3000-3200lbs maximum. Most glass boats with trailer and outboard weigh around 3000lbs already, and adding fuel, gear etc. puts you over the rated capacity of the tires.

A tandem trailer has twice as many tires, so even a 1500lb tire gives you 6000lbs capacity, which is plenty to spare to tolerate a little air loss or excess speed.

Going faster than the tire is rated or running even slightly underinflated both reduce the load rating of the tire because they cause more heat to be generated, and heat caused delamination is the killer.

There are some minor issues with the sidewalls on car tires that are designed for steering allowing sway on the trailer in some situations, but I don't think it's a huge issue with a properly balanced and hitched trailer.

If boat trailers could use 16" tires, you could just get truck tires and be fine. In reality, and ST tire is nothing more than an LT tire with a simplified tread pattern.

IMO, almost all tire issues are caused by overloading or low air pressure. That low air pressure may be the result of hitting something on the road or just neglect, but the result is the same. I've seriously considered adding one of these systems to my rig: Hopkins Towing Solutions TPMS Kit — 4 Sensors, Model# 30100VA | Tire Pressure Monitoring | Northern Tool + Equipment

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Having shopped for tires just a few months ago, I got a short lesson in trailer tires. The info Catfan gave is good, I just wanted to stick my 2 cents in. With trailer tires, it's all about sidewall. A trailer tire on the front of your car would probably slide when put into a hard corner due to the lack of sidewall flex. Trailer tires are built to tolerate rough bumps, like rough railroad tracks, much more than a car tire would. I was told the sway factor is only a sometimes issue with certain trailers, like a utility trailer loaded and swaying anyway, with car tires it's magnified. Car tires will do for a short term spare, but you're better off to buy trailer tires for the trailer. Prices I found went from $35 for an import that no one could tell me where it was made, to about $120 for a good year marathon. Most folks would go for the Good Year, being American made and all, but I think your money would be better spent on a different tire. I know of 5 of these that have failed way before their time, 2 on one guys trailer. I spent $140 for a mounted pair from the local Co-op and I'm happy with them so far. Shop a lot before you buy, there's lots of info to look over. Like Catfan said, inflation is key. I check about once a month. Good luck.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Goodyear trailer tires are now all made in China. Don't know what brands are not made over there now. I bought a Carlisle a few months ago and so far it is doing very good.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget to balance them they will last longer!

Post Thanks / Like

After much trailer tire reserch and a few years of running them.
    i am sold on Denman Tires, the last set i bought was made in
    the U.S.A.
    Some very good infro in the previous posts.Also.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys; I've done some more research, particularly on the RV/Trailer forums. I've got 15 inch tires on my rig, but the consensus on the those forums is to upgrade to 16" and go LT. Too expensive for a boat trailer, as I'd have to raise the fenders, new wheels, etc--just not worth the trouble.

I had an unused Marathon spare about 5 years old. Talked to the local tire guy and he told me I'd be fine buying a single matching Marathon. Other than adding a scuff ring, the new Marathons are pretty much identical. Had them balanced, which really smoothed out the towing--couldn't believe the difference. The Marathon was made in the US maybe 10-15 years ago, the spare was made in Canada, and the new one in China. Just shows the progression of things in this country.

Those forums also seemed to agree that you were better off going with a name brand, regardless of country of origin, as most are made overseas anyway. Rely on specs and materials--molds are built to specs--and pick a company that will stand behind the product.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thing when I bought a new set of tires,( Marathon) for my ranger trailer, dual axle.
    The spare was never on the ground so I only bought 3 news ones and used the spare. Not a good choice. Two months later pow! Blew the one that was the spare, had to by another new tire. Took the one that was the best of the 4 old ones and made a spare. Last week setting my driveway the spare mounted on the trailer blew!! setting still. One of the new tires Marathon became out of round in six months, had to replace it. If I were you I would look a different Brand than Goodyear Marathon. I maintain pressure and balance always. I tow about 20K a year and fast. Still Lookin

Post Thanks / Like

Now you got me worried; I'm headed to Canada in 2 weeks, 1300 miles round trip. How fast were you going when the spare blew? Also sounds like the "new" spare should be compensated. I'd certainly call Goodyear and ream them if nothing else!

Post Thanks / Like

I would worry about that tire that's 5 yrs old and unused especially if it's been exposed to the sun like a spare thats on a trailer. The other thing, are you saying the tire is 5yrs old because you've had it that long or did you go buy the serial #, If you just went by the time you've had it that tire could be as much as 2 yrs older. Check the production date, I hope the tire guy that said it was alright did that. If your going that far I think a new tire would be a small price to pay compared to time stranded on the highway or being in anger changing a spare. I'm retired from the tire business (35yrs) and as stated before it's all about the sidewalls on the trailer tire. Always run them at max inflation!!! Marathon is way over priced for the quality you get, we sold a lot of Carlisle's and had good luck with them as long as the customers maintained them properly(Air Pressure) They don't recommend running and RV or Trailer tire over 6-7 years.
    One other thing, don't forget about your wheel bearings before the trip, even if you have bearing buddies I would still have them inspected and repacked.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast