Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crankin from my kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Default crankin from my kayak

I finally had some sucess crankin from my kayak in Sequoya. I caught some nice crappie, a 15" two 14's and some 12 to 13" crappie on cranks. I had been trying with 4 poles out and fishing about 30' to 40' of line with 200's and 300's. I wasn't having much luck so I reeled in my lines to about 12' of line on the 300's and 20' on the 200's and started catching nice crappie. I caught most of them on the 300's. I guess I was fishing too deep. I'm fishing in 7 to 20' of water where the water goes from deep to shallow. A green bandit with an orange belly seems to do the best, or at least this weekend it was. I'm not being very scientific since I don't have a gps or line counters like ya'll do. I'm guessing I'm peddling about 1 to 2 mph. I have an app for my I-phone and it bounces around from 1 to 2 but I don't give it much cred. I just peddle fast enough to give the rod tips some action.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  fish 023.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  50.6 KB
    Sorry I forgot to add one of the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like fishing from a kayak!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mb4850 View Post
    .... I'm guessing I'm peddling about 1 to 2 mph. ..
    In my kayak, my rods start to vibrate at around 1.3 or 1.4 mph, so I would guess that you are in the lower end of the 1-2 mph range. Also at your "short" length of line, you might consider pushing rather than pulling.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch. I know we can help solve the national debt with what we lay down for cranks, but there's a series you need to try. We call em "splatterbacks" but the easy way to be sure they are the ones I'm talking about is to look on the back and there is a number 243 in the model number. Just a little more food for the addiction, right? The white version is very popular around here.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around