Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: longlining help

Post Thanks / Like

Default longlining help

been pulling cranks for a couple years with good success,but here lately while i`m pulling cranks i see longliners catching lots of fish so i rigged 6 poles this evening and the next time i go fishing i plan to try.i have tried twice in the past with no success,but now i ready to get serious.i rigged 6 poles earlier with 1/16 oz roadrunners with different color curly tails,gonna adjust holders tomorrow alittle different and then the boat will be ready.what speed is good for pulling jigs and any other tip small or big would be appreciated,thanksHands Clapping

Post Thanks / Like

Between 1.4 and 1.6 works best for me down here in florida. I will also run a few bettle spins with solid tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using 1/16 jigs with grubs, tubes, etc., and running 1.7 at times, slower at times. Your speed will adjust the depth of the lure accordingly, size of line (4lb, 6lb, etc) also affects the depth based on the speed.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'm different because 1.2 is as fast as I LongLine jigs with .8 being the norm. At .8 the road runners blade works very well. I use #6 line and most of the time will run 30 to 40' of line out with one 1/16 jig if I'm wanting to fish at or between 6 to 8' deep.
    Look for the bait fish before you start fishing and try to adjust your jigs to run just under the bait.
    It's a lot of fun LL just as pulling cranks can be.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to start long lining jigs as well, but I've been told to use a 1/8th jig and go between .7-1.2mph. Does anyone know how deep these will run? I understand that line diameter and speed control depth, but I'm not sure what depth. I pull cranks all the time, but there ain't no way to get a jig down that deep. Details PLEASE!!!
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, when you start adding up the cost of crankbait pulling, linecounter reels, trolling poles, Bandits (a bunch), etc...makes long lineing look mighty good to me (cost wise)...plus I get all teary eyed thinking about losing a bunch of crankbaits...great question and great answers...thanks
    Save the planet, it is my favorite place to fish...

Post Thanks / Like

An old-timer told me once...when trolling and/or long-lining, when you think you're going slow enough, cut the speed in half and you'll be perfect. :D
    πνεύμα γέμισα

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, I like the .8-.9 area to start. It seems to be just enough to get the proper action out of the curly tail and/or roadrunner. If you know you're in the "zone" and not getting hits, take it up a couple clicks, just remember the baits are coming up, too. There's no guide to how deep they run, it's all trial and error.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    As mentioned, I like the .8-.9 area to start. It seems to be just enough to get the proper action out of the curly tail and/or roadrunner. If you know you're in the "zone" and not getting hits, take it up a couple clicks, just remember the baits are coming up, too. There's no guide to how deep they run, it's all trial and error.
    You are so right with that statement Thumbs Up It takes many hours on the lake fishing to understand how your jigs are running.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to this site and the long troll, I am continously looking for info on depths...jig size and speed all are factors that dictate running depth...found one on you-tube that helped...based on .7 mph using 6lb. line 1/16 oz jig runs 9'-11' 1/24 oz runs 5'-8' 1/32 oz. runs 2'-4'. I experimented with 8.5 and this spring was my perfect speed.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast