Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pond fishing for crappie ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default pond fishing for crappie ?

what do u guys use ? i cant seem to catch any b4 a bluegill get the bait ???

Post Thanks / Like

Try a bit bigger bait/lure and fish deeper. I mainly catch mine out of a private pond fishing from the bank- I use an ultra light rod and reel and cast as far out in the middle as I can. Wait for it to sink a bit before the retrieve. What type of bait are you using now? Hope this helps some. Good Luck!
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omegapd View Post
    Try a bit bigger bait/lure and fish deeper. I mainly catch mine out of a private pond fishing from the bank- I use an ultra light rod and reel and cast as far out in the middle as I can. Wait for it to sink a bit before the retrieve. What type of bait are you using now? Hope this helps some. Good Luck!
    small minnows

Post Thanks / Like

You might try tipping a jig with your minnow. That increases the overall size of your offering. Crappie have a substantially larger mouth than bream. Sometimes it seems like upsizing your bait will cause the bream to back off a bit and give the crappie a chance to bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I use a bobber slip bobber mostly, and jigs, tipped with a crappie nibble, cast away from the edges towards the middle, and set the jig about half the depth of the pond, (if depth is known),, seems like the pearch like to hang close to the shallows, live minnows work well also, let bobber sit, then twitch same, do this till it gets close then do it over again, moving arround the pond till you find the little nook they like to hang in... remember the spot and work it till you make them move... the do it all over again, spend a lot of time looking and remembering what you did....it will work next time good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I use a bobber slip bobber mostly, and jigs, tipped with a crappie nibble, cast away from the edges towards the middle, and set the jig about half the depth of the pond, (if depth is known),, seems like the pearch like to hang close to the shallows, live minnows work well also, let bobber sit, then twitch same, do this till it gets close then do it over again, moving arround the pond till you find the little nook they like to hang in... remember the spot and work it till you make them move... the do it all over again, spend a lot of time looking and remembering what you did....it will work next time good luck
    will do... pond is 9ft

Post Thanks / Like

If the pond is nine ft you can use a spring bobber and set it abouit 4-5ft. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    If the pond is nine ft you can use a spring bobber and set it abouit 4-5ft. EB
    You "could" use a spring bobber ..... but, you'd get better casting distance & easier casts if you used a slip float IMHO You'd just have to make sure you were using a rod that had big enough guides/tip eye to allow whatever type of bobber stop you used, to flow thru on your casts (without causing the "stop" to slide up/down on your line, & changing your depth).

If it was me, and I was having Bluegill problems ... I'd switch over to a 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner, trim the tail feathers (half way between the end of the feathers & the hook bend), and dissect that pond with my casts. If it's no more than 9ft deep, at the deepest point, you can easily put a Roadrunner in the face of every fish in there ... with a simple cast & slow/moderate retrieve. You'll probably be surprised at how many of those bait nipping/stealing Bluegill you'll catch, too.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

HMMMMMMMMMMM............... some great tips in here, thanks everyone.
    Hey, catchin' fish is easy, finding thems the hard part.