Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi V or deep V

kwerdal is offline Moderator Indiana Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Semi V or deep V

I am looking at a new (new to me) 17 or 18 foot aluminum boat I am wondering what the pros and cons to the semi V and the deeper V looking at a bass tracker or Lowe what do you think?

Thanks
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Just going by the things that I have read on other forums the main differences are.

A mod V puts you a little closer to the water and rides pretty good on rougher water but it will get you wet. (or at least the one I had would) It was an 92 Alumaweld 16 foot bass boat.

A deep V sets you up a little higher from the water and has a lower setting casting deck so it would make it a little harder to do some types of Bass fishing if you want. (pitching and flipping) I would think that it would ride better in rougher water than a mod V.

I have never been in a deep V tho so I could be totally wrong. Either one will be blown around pretty good in the wind.
    I have also read a great deal of horror stories about Tracker marine when I was researching getting a new boat so make sure you do your homework about those.

Good luck on the search and enjoy looking at everything out there.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thought don't forget about G3 boats they have some really nice looking boats.
    And there is a dealer in Shoals In. that is a heck of a nice guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been guiding for striper,crappie, and ducks for the last twenty five years along with commercial fishing in the inland water ways and creeks near the outer banks of NC.I personaly like a fiberglass boat better than aluminum boat. You can cut the water better with a deep V boat any day, if it is aluminum or fiberglass. However the fiberglass is heavier and will give you a lot smoother ride on a windy day especialy if you have to go across open water to get to your creeks. I have a friend that passed away last August and he has a 20 ft LOWE CC with 90 HP 4 stroke Johnson semi V,and I use it a lot during duck season or if the tide is very low. The boat is excellent on non windy days,but will knock all the fillings out of your teeth if you have any. My 17 ft stumpknocker which is a fiberglass boat and it is a wide boat with a semi V for the first 5 ft of the boat then it is very flat from there to the stern. It is very good on rough water and will cut rough water because of the wait of the boat. If you get aluminum boat IMO get one that is as wide as you can find. I promise you want regret it, and try to get one that is all weld.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me start by saying this is just my opinion, affected by some past injuries. I've had small boats until the boat I now own, a 17'8" bass boat. I've owned a 16 foot Lund, a basic boat with bench seats and no storage or interior. Had a 35hp Johnson tiller steer. It's built as a V hull, but the bottom has a flat area also.. The boat was built as good as they come, was 25 yrs old when I got it but didn't leak a drop. The down sides, light weight means a lot of activity when another boat went by, and being a V it rolled a bit too much for my liking and left the lower back sore at the end of the day. Good hull in rougher water and it got me home in relative comfort on several occasions.
    I also owned a 16" Sea Nymph, v bow and flat bottom, and a stick steer set up. This boat also had a very basic interior that added almost no weight. Sitting in the front made you the first one to rough water, and 6 yrs later was the main reason I sold it. Stable at rest it was comfortable to fish out of if there wasn't a lot of boat traffic making wakes. Not nearly as smooth a ride as the Lund, but more stable at rest. I'm 6'2" and 260 and have bad knees and lower back, and when standing up in the boat, if I lost my balance both boats reacted pretty fast underneath me. Almost went swimming a couple of times. If I fished smaller waters I would have another stick boat because it's handy to do every thing from the seat you drive from and never have to get up.
    The bass boat is heavier, harder to tow, and thirstier. It's at least 3 times more comfortable in rough water and at rest when I lose my balance. passing boat wakes aren't near the issue either. Had I known in my 20's what I now have learned in my 50's I would have had one of these type boats years ago. Sorry to be long winded, hope this helps.

'
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

kwerdal is offline Moderator Indiana Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input, I am leaning towards a Lowe boat they seem wider then most the trackers I had a 1989 Gemini 20 foot 200 HP bass boat.. loved it until I had to buy gas, I don't have a choice but to downsize.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what your saying about the gas. I have been very fourcinate to be able to put a 50 hp ETEC on the 17 ft and a 225 ETEC on my 25 ft Parker which is a 1988 hull. It is built like a tank and very heavy but will take water very well. I have been getting around 51/2 to 61/2 gallons GPM at top speed and 10-,10-1/2 mpg while trolling. and no oil change no service until you hit the 300 hr mark. Great motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Tracker Tournament V-18. I think they stopped making them recently but there should still be some dealers that have new ones. I was looking at one at Bass Pro the other day, its a deep V but compared to the Pro Guide V's it has a 17 degree deadrise and 22 inch transom versus 20 degree and 25 inch on the Pro Guides. Looked like it would sit lower in the water, be easier to land fish in, and catch less wind than other deep V's.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Skeetbum's comments about tin boats, well said. I have an 04 Tracker PT175 w/ a 60merc. IT is a GOOD boat, you'll see lots of people on this forum and othesr knocking tracker boats, for several reasons, some may/may not be valid. My tracker has served me very well. I don't take fishing very seriously (not like some members here), I go for the fun of going and having something to do other than sit in the house doing nothing. My boat is easy to launch and load solo, easy on gas, dependable, has given me viturally ZERO problems, does not leak, the floor has not rotted out (numerous comments about the flooring will rot out on tracker boats) my boat has been stored inside from day one when i bought it new, but other tin boats have wood flooring as well. My boat does rock from other boat wakes, but rides pretty good in rough water (I do stay dry but it does slap the wakes and waves). I bought the PT175 because it was a package boat, ready to go fishing, and it is, all you need is stop for gas and load your gear, then go fishing. Other manufacturers have package boats as well, I have not fished from any other makes so I'm not knocking them. Look at all the versions that may fit your style of fishing and budget. I would suggest you get as wide of a boat as possible as this increases the overall comfort and pleasure you will get, and get a motor that is as close to the max HP rating for the boat as possible, this will make the boat perform well when running up/down the water. I do wish my boat was wider to reduce the rocking motion I get, as I also get a sore lower back from the rocking motion like skeetbum mentioned. I believe tracker offers a pretty warranty on the wood flooring in the new boats but I don't think it is transferable to 2nd owners and beyond. If you have a place to store out of the weather no problems, if you don't, then buy a good cover for it to keep the flooring as dry as possible, that's just common sense. Other makes may or may not have wood flooring but I am not sure. Talk to the dealers and web sites to get a good handle on the components used to make their boats. GL
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Rember that Lowe Stingers have no wood in them to rot. If you store your boat outside this is the one to get. Will be as good as new twenty years from now and thet are wide. I have had several types of boats-both alumiun and fiberglass and have the wood floors rot out on all of them.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast