Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tow vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

Default tow vehicle

what are you guys using. i have a03 crew cab f150 and it sucks. without the boat i dont average 15 mpg. with the boat maybe 10. just got a 18 1/2 foot ranger so may be a little bit better then the 21 footer i was pulling.. may look for another ride before long..driving 70 miles a day to work and back sucks...

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 07 Sport Trac V6, average 18/19 without the tracker PT175 w/ a 60. With the boat, I get 14-15 but I only have to tow it 12 miles one way to the ramp so I'm not overly worried about it. Rangers are pretty heavy boats if memory serves, so going down in size of tow vehicle won't end up with anything in your favor imo. My Sport Trac is not my daily driver, have a Mazda 3 5sp that gets 32+mpg, so I would suggest you getting a small used econo box for the daily driver if that's in the budget/possible. Prices of used cars have gone up since the gas went back up, got my Mazda 3 after the last round of $4.50-5.00/gal gas. The sunami in Japan has helped/caused the prices of used vehicles to go up as well since there are not as many new Japanese cars coming in.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is mine, Have truck will travel

2007 Tundra with a 2010 Bronco camper & 2001 Skeeter 180 SX..Truck averages 17.6mpg unloaded, 14.2 pulling just the boat & 12.9 with camper and boat..Real pleased with this setup..
    Hands ClappingHands Clapping
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

07 GMC pulling a 185 Tracker/90hp. Not much weight and get around 15-16 pulling boat and 16-17 w/o.

You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

Don G............very nice......
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Currently, and only recently ..

... I'm towing this :

with this :

That's a 1999 Procraft 16' w/90Merc ... pulled by a 2006 Tundra --- estimated @ 15mpg city driving w/o boat ... @ 12mpg w/boat

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the various programmers available for your truck. They may be able to improve the mpg, plus performance. Superchips.com is one I am aware of but there are others.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

your boat looks much newer than the year you listed, it must have been well taken care of
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-04-2011 at 08:20 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    your boat looks much newer than the year you listed, it must have been well taken care of
    Thanks Seeker .... yes, it was obviously carefully used, and garage stored by the previous (2) owners. I don't think it was used much, either, since the motor (under the cowl) looks brand new. Hands Clapping

(note: I removed the pics, from your reply, to save site space Thumbs Up )

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Combination

This is my rig. It's an '88 Bumble Bee 178 that weighs 950 hull weight so you know its a total of 2000lbs at least wet and loaded. I pull it with the 2000 Jimmy with a 4.3 v6 and a tow package that gives me about 20 without the boat and about 12 or 13 with. I have 3 lakes close by, within 30 minutes, and unless I do a road trip it's tolerable. On the highway it likes 65mph better than 70, but that's the only drawback. Does well on the ramp. I want a pickup so bad I can taste it, active word being want. I don't need it, just want it. I drive a good bit to work so I would have to get a hopper for work and use the p/u for around the house and pulling the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast