Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rasing / Holding worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rasing / Holding worms

I have a compost pile where I dig all my worms but when I have started a bunch in an ice chest they alway start escaping. I lift the ice chest 3 day later and ther are 50 underneith. And Im talking about a concrete floored room(live garage). Any idea of worm-proof containers to raise in, I want my worms on lock down.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Try smearing cooking oil around the sides of your cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we had that problem until we started sitting a brick on top of the lid. That's enough pressure to keep them in.
    - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holding Worms

Robbor, I started my worm beds inside using plastic storage containers with snap on lids , I bought them from walgreens pharmacy, but you can get them from wal-mart also. The worms need plenty of air so you MUST drill small holes in the lid and around the top of the sides.also drill small holes in the bottom for drainage . use a shallow container or a lid to catch excess water. The worms tend to wander at night but they can't get out if the lid is on tight If for some reason this does happen a small night light mounted in the lid will stop them from that. They do not like the light and will stay in the ground and not climb up the sides. Hope this is of some help to you and good luck. Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

And contrary to what seems logical, they never seem to escape through the vent holes. BTW, that excess liquid makes good plant food. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

So I take it red worms can handle the heat? Robber said he kept his in the garage. Red worms must be differant than nightcrawlers. I have to keep my crawlers in the basement where it is a little cooler, but the fridge is best. They would die in the garage.

Buy the way, what do you all feed your red worms, I am thinking of trying to grow some.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food

We use Frabill's worm food. Just sprinkle a little on top. We add shredded newspaper, finely chopped fruit and vegetable trimmings (not onions) coffee grounds and finely crushed eggshells. Everybody seems pretty happy right now. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raising Red Worms

Hello Charly, You are right, Red worms can't take the heat. Once it gets above eighty five they start to die. They will try to escape the container thay are in and if they can't they will die. I found that out the hard way and lost about half of mine last fourth of july when I was out of town. I feed mine purina[ not spelled right] laying mash and old bread. Any green left over veg. from your table, also coffie grounds and egg shells. Crush the egg shells with your hands before putting them in the bed. The egg shells help them digest thier food. Keep the soil moist but not wet. I went out to my worm bed yesterday to feed them and man I must have thousands of red worms. I will never use that many worms. Wish I had a way of getting some to you I would give you enought to start your bed. I payed twenty dollars a pound for the two pounds I ordered when I started plus postage. Good luck and if I can be of any help let me know. Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to start saving our worms too.But I would have to set it up inside the house.Does these stink after awhile?I don't have a basement.And my shed gets way too hot in the summer.Any help would be great.Can you use regular potting soil?Or do you need something else?

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raising worms

I have a friend that raises rabbits and also has six old refrigerators laying down side by side and he raises worms in them and he has many worms lol. He sells them to ppl everyday and never runs out. He says he puts the rabbit droppings in the boxes with the worms and coffee grounds and potatoe peelings and anything that ant's wont eat in there. Also he adds some of the rabbit feed some times. He wet's newspaper and lays it on the top and they eat it to, this he says helps keep the moisture in. I read that old refrigs not good to raise worms but this guy makes whoever that author is a story teller lol. I never tryed to raise them before but took many coffee cans to his house and he filled them with worms many times so he doing something right......Drift_Wood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast