Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: line for reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default line for reel

What kind of line do i need on my reel to throw small jigs and lures for bluegill,crappie,etc?I got two reels and they are both spooled up with 4lb P-line.One is more ultra light then the other.I would like to use lip ripperz jigs for bream.I mostly fish from shore.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

4lb is good in most cases, if you throw into brush alot, you may consider 6lb and thin wire hooks, the thin wire will bend/straighten out and the line won't break and have to re-ty as often.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

X-2 on the thin wire hooks. I just rigged up a couple of my UL's with 10lb Pro Power braid, still in the learning curve with it. I just got tired of losing jigs.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

4lb is perfect. loosen jigs is just part of fishen.....

Post Thanks / Like

So how would you rig up a jig like say if i wanted to catch bluegills from shore with them?I was thinking of using tube jigs and beetle spins.I cant get a good cast with them because they are really light weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using 4lb line on my ultra lites and have been more than pleased. I have been using the Viscious High vis line and have been nothing but happy.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default casting from shore

Quote Originally Posted by Dgonzo85 View Post
    So how would you rig up a jig like say if i wanted to catch bluegills from shore with them?I was thinking of using tube jigs and beetle spins.I cant get a good cast with them because they are really light weight.
    Gonz .... that's where a float can come in handy. If you have to cast a good distance out, a long rod & weighted float should help. If you can't get the jig down to the depths you're seeking, using a clip-on/fixed float ... then the alternative is to use a slip float and a sinker added to the line above the jig. You essentially are just using the standard "hook/sinker/float" rig ... but, replacing the plain "hook" with a jig.

Now, the Beetle Spins are a "constant movement" type bait ... a cast & retrieve situation ... so an added sinker, on the line above it, should help with casting distance as well as depth.

And there's always the "wrong way, that still works" method Doh ... like my fishing partner once used to catch Crappie from shore. What he did was put on a clip-on bobber & jig, that would sink (cracked bobber took on water). He didn't do it on purpose, but when it worked he just kept on using it. The bobber allowed him to cast a greater distance, and since he was casting/retrieving anyway, the slowly sinking bobber just allowed the jig to slowly sink along with it. He wasn't using the bobber to detect strikes ... just gain casting distance, and slow the fall of the jig. Strikes were detected by watching the line &/or feeling the thump.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ok,so how about a clip on float with some split shots and a jig?Would that be ok?Ill have the split shots on the line like 6 inches away from my jig.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dgonzo85 View Post
    Ok,so how about a clip on float with some split shots and a jig?Would that be ok?Ill have the split shots on the line like 6 inches away from my jig.
    Yep .. that'd work (as long as you only want the jig to be as deep as the length of line between float & jig ... and you can still cast it).

Just be sure that you make a smooth action cast with this setup .... otherwise they're going to 'tumble' during the cast, and may end up in a snarled mess. I also don't recommend using a "straight overhead" cast, as this sets up a greater possibility of the tumbling effect, and the float/sinkers/jig will be tumbling in line with the main line Doh What I normally do, is to cast with my rod at a 45-60deg angle to my body .... or somewhere between a overhead cast & a sidearm cast .... so that contact between the rigging & the main line is less likely. I don't use my wrist to cast this type of setup, like I would (wrist snap) with a jig alone ... I use more of an arm/shoulder smooth continuous motion ... so that the rig is "heaved" more than "flicked/flung" (more like a fly rod cast, than a spinning rod cast).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I throw 1/64 ounce jigs 95 percent of the time and then it is 1/32. I have switched to the new NanoFil line. I did a review on here. I have two rods spooled with it. One is spooled with the 4# test and the other is spooled with 3# test. I am waiting on a spool of 2# test and it will go on my new reel when I get my warranty claim back. I have been fishing with it for 14 straight days. I really like this line. It is expensive though. Some may tell you it is just like braid because it is made from the same fibers that braid is made from...but it is not like braid except for the no stretch part. I am sure it will not fit everyone's application but it works for me so far. This line will outcast any line on the market by probably about 40% distance pound for pound and is perfect for casting tiny jigs on spinning reels.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast